Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Best NFL team ever

I don't think the 04' Pats are the best team of all time, but if they win the Super Bowl, they should be thrown into the ring.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The 72 Dolphins opponents had a winning percentage under .400 and I think they only played a couple of teams with a winning record. If I recall correctly, they were actually underdogs against the skins in the SB

[/ QUOTE ]

You recall incorrectly. How exactly is an undefeated team going into its 2nd consecutive SB going to be a dog. I'm fairly certain I remember them being a 7 point favorite.

Also, although I can't seem to pull it up on google, I'm also fairly certain the bears opponent's record's were pretty bad overall too. That has a tendency to happen when 94% of yer opponents have had an L hung on them or 2 by you, BTW.

Also, the Ravens SB team had a better defense, better special teams, and a comparable offense overall, although they had that run of no td's... Were it not for a Giant's KO return for a TD, it would have been the first shutout in super bowl history.

Also, they weren't playing NEAR the best team from the AFC. Marino dismantled them on MNF, and I think he would have done the same in the Super bowl. Alas, NE was always a thorn in their side those years. I was a Miami/marino fan then too, so take that for what it's worth. I DID make a TON of money on the Dolphins from that MNF game living in the Chicago area tho, and wore my Dolphins jacket with pride to school the next day.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:46 AM

If memory serves me, the 1996 Packers are the only team in NFL history to have the #1 rated offense and defense in the same season and their special teams were outstanding (Desmond Howard scored a bunch of touchdowns). And they won the Super Bowl that year.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And you base this on what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Watching a ton of old NFL games, mostly. They simply weren't as good as some other teams that came before and after them. Also, their schedule was weak. They had at least two games that they were lucky as hell to win. They never repeated. Etc.

Make no mistake though. I am not trying to take anything away from the '72 season. It was an unbelievable season, and they were the best that year. They are just not one of the teams I would put money on in a playoff of Super Bowl winners.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if it is urban legend, but they say that Oakland put the score of that game on their championship ring, not the SB score vs the Vikings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a typical Yinzer Steelers fan who can't get over the good ole days of the 70's pulled one over on you :

http://www.superbowl.com/history/rings/game/sbxi

Now the other side might have the AFC Championship game result but the picture clearly shows the Super Bowl score.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the 04' Pats are the best team of all time, but if they win the Super Bowl, they should be thrown into the ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way...

You can't be the best team ever when you lose to the worst team in the NFL in that season. They also rarely "handled" anyone this season. Most of their games were close with just the better team winning. These Pats are damn good, but they are no where close to being the best team ever.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that they would probably get beaten by some of the teams in the era before the salary cap, because the talent was so much more stacked on those teams. But I do not think there has ever been a more well-run organization from top-to-bottom then these Patriots. I am not a Pats fan, but man I wish other teams would do things the way NE does.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:30 AM

SF w/ rice and montana.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:08 AM

Do you guys really think teams from the 70's would beat the modern Patriots? Aside from the fact that athletes now are larger, and faster there have also been many advances is schemes offensively and defensively. About the only thing these 70's teams would have on todays is toughness and heart. While the Patriots are not as dominant against todays competition as they were against theirs, I feel the Patriots would be even more dominant against teams from the past.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:55 AM

I'm new to OOT and I have to throw my hat in the ring, since the Bears will likely never be good again in my lifetime. In the 1985 playoffs, the Bears DEFENSE outscored opponents 23-10. The 10 points are inflated too, the result of an early Payton fumble in Bears territory and a pity "you're down by 41, Payton blew our shutout, and we've got celebrating to do, so we'll let you have one" TD in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl.

No other team has ever come close to such dominance.