Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2004, 04:44 PM

Default Re: WPT Reno

[ QUOTE ]
Well you don't want to let someone have a free card and draw out on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously hope that is a joke. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2004, 04:56 PM

What does coffeehousing mean?

I liked the vietnamese guy, he was okay. And the eskimo was okay by virtue of the fact that he looked like a caveman.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:49 PM

I really didnt think the JJJJ hand was that bad, the navy guy put in a pretty good sized bet, and the all-in could look like a bluff if the navy guy had any kind of a hand - but he didn't, I don't think he was getting any more blood from that stone no matter what he did.

What did you think of Mike saying that guy should have called that pot sized bet with 10h 6h, and a flush draw? I thought that would have been a pretty silly call, because he would have faced another on the turn.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite moment was when Eskimo moves in w/ Qx postflop on the Qxx board and the guy has Kings. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he slams the table and triumphantly shows his hand to the crowd and cameras not only before the turn and the river are dealt, but before he even sees Eskimo's hand, right? At that moment, I so wanted Eskimo's cards to somehow change into a flopped set. I mean, this guy couldn't even conceive of the possibility that his one pair might not be the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think he had a good read that Eskimo would not be moving in with more than top pair. He wasn't that bad as you guys are making him out to be. Aside from the JJJJ play, where I think he just got nervous and blew it (which I suspect many of us would in a WPT final when we make quads), he made some good plays. A couple of really nice bluffs with the Q5 bottom pair on the A-high board, and the 32 busted straight.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:54 PM

That's just the thing. He was fabulous at the bluffing. When he had nothing, it was as if he had nothing to lose and gambled it up a bit. It almost always worked.

But when he actually had a hand, he was too afraid to play it logically. Flopped two pair and he checked it to the river? A single bet anywhere would have won him that hand.

He bet all-in with the non nut straight, flush possibility on the board. Now, granted, he had the king with the ace high flush possibility on the board so he knew his opponent couldn't have the nuts but still...
Betting all-in on that board is suicidal because the only hand that's going to call you is the one that's going to beat you.

All this on top of the quad jacks. He played brilliantly when he needed to push someone off a hand. But he also screwed up most of his good hands.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:08 PM

I forgot about the two pair hand. That one was played horribly.

I think the point of his moving all-in with the strong hands was because he assumed the other players would assume he was bluffing, and was hoping someone would bite. As that other guy (Pete?) did when the Navy guy went all-in.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:33 PM

AHHHH! I completely agree. That really ticked me off.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite moment was when Eskimo moves in w/ Qx postflop on the Qxx board and the guy has Kings. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he slams the table and triumphantly shows his hand to the crowd and cameras not only before the turn and the river are dealt, but before he even sees Eskimo's hand, right? At that moment, I so wanted Eskimo's cards to somehow change into a flopped set. I mean, this guy couldn't even conceive of the possibility that his one pair might not be the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was funny. It would have been so classic if eskimo had flopped a small set and said, "two-outer, buddy".
Old 06-24-2004, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What does coffeehousing mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you bet and are waiting for your opponent to make the decision, and you start talking him up. From typical opponents, it's usually a dead giveaway that they want you to call.