Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Re: NHL Predictions

Pittsburgh?!

Pittsburgh has no chance. Lemeiux can't stay healthy, Crosby's 18, Palffy can't stay healthy, and they have no one else. Three offensive defensemen on the blueline won't keep pucks out of the net. If this team somehow manages to make it to the playoffs, there's no way they'd get through New Jersey or Philadelphia. I know people like to talk about how much Pittsburgh's improved, but their bottom 2 lines are still mostly garbage. They'll be entertaining and they'll probably start off hot, but once Lemieux inevitably gets hurt, that team is finished.

Burke signed in Tampa. Thibault went to Pittsburgh.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pittsburgh?!

Burke signed in Tampa. Thibault went to Pittsburgh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even better for Pittsburgh. However, let me be clear. I do not want Pittsburgh to do well and I want them to not make the playoffs. They have no right being such a crap team only to get saved by Lemieux/Jagr, only to turn into a crap team again and be saved by Crosby/Bettman. Bandwagon fans dont deserve it.

I do think they can do very well though if the names they have come together as a team and arent just the Rangers of the last few years. I also stated they need a defensive dman.

Looking further, San Jose will also be very good as they have gone relatively unchanged, with LA having made enough changes to have a very good shot. I know ive now named 10 teams, but thats just how it could go this year.

rJ
Old 08-13-2005, 04:47 AM

My prediction is who gives a flying [censored]. I was a lukewarm hockey fan before...but even BASEBALL has never lost an ENTIRE SEASON. And baseball is the pettiest sport on the planet. Hockey can suck a cock as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My prediction is who gives a flying [censored]. I was a lukewarm hockey fan before...but even BASEBALL has never lost an ENTIRE SEASON. And baseball is the pettiest sport on the planet. Hockey can suck a c*** as far as I'm concerned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm... yeah ... you have issues... many issues.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, on the bright side: at least the Leaf's signed a 32-year old concussion-prone has-been [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right. The parade is going from the ACC, up Bay Street to Nathan Phillips square. The mayor will be waiting outside city hall.

The cups coming to TO, the teams gonna be carried by Big E & Domi!!!

Or, so the psycho fans will tell you... *sigh*

I put the Leafs in the second round (again)

Maybe next year
Old 08-13-2005, 10:00 AM

The NHL has become a brand new league that will take some time for me to adjust to with all of the player moves.

I look forward to watching the Edmonton Oilers play this year. I think they will have an exciting team. I enjoy watching up tempo skating teams play.

The Atlanta Thrashers will have an exciting team this season as well. Danny Heatley and Igor Kovalchuk.

I look forward to this. I will order the NHL package.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:56 AM

i go to school in toronto and not having an nhl season sucked.

with the new rules i'm extremely excited for the upcoming season. in my opinion though, they might have overdone some of the changes. my favorite games are around 4-2 or 3-5 type games. i dont like 7-5 and i hope that the new rules dont make the game score like lacrosse.

but i'm excecting teams with really good skaters on them to do well. teams like the minnesota wild who dont have many big names but during their run to teh cup ( was that 2003 or 2004) had players that could really fly and thats gonna be huge this year.

i think players to watch out for are paul kariya although he wont have much help, sergie samsanov, maxim afinogenov, ilya kovalchuk and probably jagr could do some serious damage.

i'm a huge fan of the sabres and its been really rough watching them fall apart.. i expect them to hopefully wind up somwhere around the 8th playoff spot.

as for cup favorites i can't name one. different goalies do well under different situations. ie, hasek's 2x better when he has to save 40 shots then when he has to save 15. i think goalies were really considered almost a dime a dozen, like there are a few "great" goalies out there, but lots of good ones. the difference between good and great goalies is gonna be magnified big time this year.

stealthcow-
Old 08-13-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Palffy can't stay healthy, and they have no one else.

[/ QUOTE ]
Palffy is an incredible player, and more likely to remain healthy outside of andy murray's system. He was targeted and abused without any teammate to stick up for him in LA.

LA has unproven goaltending. They are a long shot to go anywhere in the playoffs.
I'd go with Ana before LA.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think players to watch out for are paul kariya although he wont have much help, sergie samsanov, maxim afinogenov, ilya kovalchuk and probably jagr could do some serious damage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nick Nash and Joe Thorton each had very good past seasons in europe. They both should carry that into the NHL this year.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
n the East, it looks like only the Capitals, Hurricanes, and Rangers have no chance

[/ QUOTE ]

The Rangers are not as bad or wont be nearly as bad as everyone is thinking.

#1. I bet Lundquist is going to get some serious PT, and based on his play over in Europe he will make some heads spin.

#2. The Rangers signed Straka. No big deal alone, but when he is reunited with Jagr, expect some magical things in this new offensive era with them together.