Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Playing a pocket pair

ill limp with these hands in very seldom games. im no expert on when pocket pairs become profitable, but from my experience baby pairs are only profitable under the gun in the loosest of games. i dont like the raise on the flop. in a game as loose as this where limping in with baby pairs UTG is profitable, its very unlikely your raise will win you the pot. you have too many players behind you to proceed. just muck it. after the raise comes back to you, you should consider calling to spike a set.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:29 AM

Even if game conditions are perfect, I don't think you lose anything by mucking preflop. The upside to mucking is you avoid a lot of difficult situations.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:52 AM

Throw it away when he bets out on the flop. There are too many people left to act behind you, and sometimes the BB will have a hand here as well.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:20 AM

na-4bart

I think if you have no idea what your doing then you should muck your small pair upfront. But how hard are they to play?
Generally you don't hit the flop and you throw them away.IMO you probably could call with them and then muck them everytime when you didn't hit the flop "fit-or-fold" and they would still be profitable. The way the games are played today i have yet to be in a game where there are not the right number of callers or super aggressives who will go off for multiple bets when you hit.

In my hand it was a riskier play to raise the bb but IMO due to the pot size i decided to take the risk.If the pot had been smaller i would have thrown it into the muck due to my position and the callers behind me.It probably sounds strange but my thinking is the larger the pot the greater the overlay and presented with the chance to face the field with calling two cold and MAYBE getting head up with the bb is worth the risk.My mistake as the other posters have mentioned was i should have called the raise back to me based on the pot size.Continued success. Ice
Old 02-11-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are 10 sb in the pot and the flop comes 852 rainbow. The bb bets i raise two people call and the big blind reraises and i muck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like bobbyi said, because you raised, you're now getting 18-1 to call the turn and it's doubtful it's raised behind you.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In early position, 33 can be tossed, but if the game is full of bad players it can be played if they are the right kind of bad...loose passive. you don't want them overly aggressive, cause you can't stand up to too much aggression with that hand.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I disagree. Low pocket pairs require a different type of game for them to be optimally played. One would want a game where you can get in cheap preflop (1 or 2 bets), with many people (hopefully 5+) in each average pot. Furthermore one would like the game to be more aggressive postflop, not passive. One needs to be able to flop a set and have opponents go off for many bets to make up for the lack of preflop odds one was getting. Passive games are better for suited connector type hands as one will more often get to see the later streets for cheap with good draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. I was thinking more of preflop when i described wanting a passive game. Sorry I wasn't more clear. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

--Dan