Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: AKs on level 1

OK, hadn't heard of the 40% figure for being pot commited.

Can't believe if you limped in LP with say, JTs, and the flop came J74r that you wouldn't be getting in there and playing poker post-flop.

And I think you need to playing more hands against raisers or you'll be way too easy for the LAGs to take advantage of.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't believe if you limped in LP with say, JTs, and the flop came J74r that you wouldn't be getting in there and playing poker post-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. But you're assuming 3 things:

1) I get dealt JTs.
2) I'm in LP.
3) There's no pre-flop raise ahead of me.

That rarely (i.e., almost never) happens.

I don't remember if I said it in this thread or another, but I haven't been playing SnGs very long, so that might explain my lack of experience in these situations.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:33 PM

at some point in your learning spend some time at the no limit ring games. That will force you to learn how to play postflop. sng's are basically just a no limit poker game who's structure changes over time. It will help your game alot if you learn how to play when the blinds are small.

Steve
Old 02-15-2005, 03:55 PM

I don't think it is necessary to do much playing at all in levels 1-3 (mainly 1 and 2). All I play in these levels is QQ+, AK, and JJ and AQ in unraised pots in late position.

You have to realize that even if you play perfectly for the first 3 levels, and dont recieve one of those hands, you could get up to what on average, say 1500 chips? But you also increase your chances of going bust. I will concede that I am probably giving up some cEV (chip EV?), but I am sure that I am gaining $EV (monetary EV). (Are those abbreviations right?)

You just have to weigh the chips you gain vs the chance of going bust. Over time, I have made the decision that I would much rather give myself a much better chance of being around later when the blinds are bigger and it is easier to acquire chips by stealing. I would rather have the lowest possible chance of going bust until this point.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:09 PM

bingo. good post, other than that ugly AQ comment. who plays those rags. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2005, 07:17 PM

This is actually a really simple hand. It's 7 handed on level 1 so I'm assuming this is a low buyin. You have AKs, got minreraised by someone who can usually be presumed to be a clown, and saw a flop on which you hit your king. OK, you're all in at some point, next hand. Think about it as him hitting a 4 outer.

Yeah, you should bet less on the flop but it doesn't make much difference because only a clown checks this flop with AA so you're not folding.