Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Re: WTF happened to personal responsibility?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
so you never went to a house party underaged in your entire life? never threw a house party which inevitably attracts minors?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I am an alcoholic virgin. This rant was about accepting "personal responsibility", the dispensers of alcohol to minors can dispense it all they want, but they should do so realizing that there is an outside chance something very bad will happen, in which case they will have to accept personal responsibility. If these kids get away with it, the line gets pushed back, and when do you place blame if say dozens of kids are dying from this? Sometimes people are used to set examples for laws which sucks, but it's a risk they took, and therefore must face personal responsibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kids always drank underage, and underage used to be younger than it is now.

I think the main difference is, they used to drink to get drunk, drink while partying, etc. The object wasn't to drink just to drink, even when you drank to get drunk.

When you drink to get drunk, and get drunk, it's mission accomplished, and you only need to drink enough to keep the buzz flying, and may even want to drink as little as possible to keep the buzz going, so you don't get sick later.

But frats do seem to have gotten worse than they were even 20 or 30 years ago when it comes to drinking, and that culture seems to be spreading outside frats. Now there is regular what I guess you could call "power drinking," and drinking contests, where getting drunk strangely enough seems to be almost incidental to the process of drinking, and it's more like a matter of how much you can drink without getting really sick, barfing yourself, passing out, or killing yourself. The goals have totally changed, and the tone of what happens to the participants has changed drastically. Drinking used to be a fun trip, but it's veered over into being some kind of a weird death trip. I guess people in sheltered lives don't get enough danger, so they have to get a false macho going by creating the danger themselves out of thin air. You used to look out for your buddies more, but now you want to see if they sh*t themselves or get brain damage or something.

The control and concern with a decent outcome that even the stupidest guys used to take for granted seems to have been replaced with indifference at best, including people's indifference toward themselves. It's not like frats or young kids have ever been less than stupid, but it used to have a lot happier and much, much safer edge to it. I wouldn't worry too much about kids going to frat parties 20 or 30 years ago, when competitive drinking, including competitive drinking of hard liquor, wasn't so popular. Now, I'd feel nervous about it if I had a kid that age. Having a drunk kid come home isn't so bad, and at least he comes home. Finding out your kid's friends all helped him poison himself is something different.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:34 AM

so the frat brothers made the correct decision not to cut him off?

besides when guys get that drunk they end up chasing off the impressionable freshman girls, so they should have handled the situation before it got to that. or maybe that's what they did...
Old 10-10-2005, 09:37 AM

Next time they should be sure to hide the body better.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, that's what college is for - learning from your mistakes.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, that's what college is for - learning from your mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH
Old 10-10-2005, 10:25 AM

I see both sides of this issue, having been an officer of a fraternity in college. It should be noted that over 10 years ago, we had "social host liability" beaten into our heads over and over and over again. Right or wrong, the law (in some states at least) says that when you host a party you have some responsibility for what goes on when it comes to drinking. The point is, I have no doubt that somebody at some point completely ignored the instruction they were given to avoid this type of situation.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:26 AM

I'll never understand why you have to be 21 to drink in the U.S.

But that aside - you have to respect the law. There's no getting around it.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto

what after 21 you magically become a resonable human being who can handle drinking alcohol
Old 10-10-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto

what after 21 you magically become a resonable human being who can handle drinking alcohol

[/ QUOTE ]

This is stupid. Argue for or against there being a line, not the specific line of 21. If you think there should be a drinking age then the obvious reply to any age that you set is "what after [age xxx] you magically become a resonable human being who can handle drinking alcohol[?]" If you don't think there should be a drinking age then give arguments against one, not an irrational one against age 21.

Why is the speed limit 55? It's not like at 56 we all of sudden all become unsafe drivers.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto

[/ QUOTE ]

This is stupid. Argue for or against there being a line, not the specific line of 21. If you think there should be a drinking age then the obvious reply to any age that you set is "what after [age xxx] you magically become a resonable human being who can handle drinking alcohol[?]" If you don't think there should be a drinking age then give arguments against one, not an irrational one against age 21.

Why is the speed limit 55? It's not like at 56 we all of sudden all become unsafe drivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a good point, but it can be argued that the age should be lowered to 16 or 18 in order to be consistent with other developed country's drinking laws.

In my opinion there should be no legal age requirment for beer and wine, and we would see a reduction of binge drinking problems within a generation. Unfortunalty the protestant/puritan mentality that formed this country still exsists in much of the population.