Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: 15/30 Live

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What's the lowest pair you raise in the CO with 3 limpers and a BB that will always call?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So how can you not even think limping is worth considering? Maybe you're just a little upset about teh game last night?

Fwiw I'd raise 99 here and probably limp 88. I don't think either limping or raising is decidedly wrong.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So how can you not even think limping is worth considering?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe you're just a little upset about teh game last night?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, I sat in the Bellagio Sports book bar w/my Dillon shirt on, Josh said to me, "time to hide the shirt". I said, "fck that, live with it, die with it."

Maybe you are upset that the Pats rule over the last 4 years. What can you do when you play 10 more games than everyone else over that span? They are hurt and tired. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Limping preflop should, at the very least, be considered.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it shouldn't. I would like hear why you would?

[/ QUOTE ]

Five handed (BB will call with any two)? I think I limp more often than I raise -- even with position (assuming the limpers have any pre-flop standards at all).

What are the advantages/disadvantages of limping/raising here? I think that is a very interesting discussion.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What's the lowest pair you raise in the CO with 3 limpers and a BB that will always call?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So how can you not even think limping is worth considering? Maybe you're just a little upset about teh game last night?

Fwiw I'd raise 99 here and probably limp 88. I don't think either limping or raising is decidedly wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

A major consideration for me in deciding to limp or raise comes from how I think the flop is most likely to play out.

If, for example, an aggressive player on my right limps in, I think limping in becomes pretty clearly better because I would really like to have someone on my right betting into me on the flop so I can raise for protection on favorable flops.

Raising here with 88 and getting checked to in a large, multiway pot with, say, 1 overcard can put hero in a very tough spot indeed.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-08-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't think of a definitive way to prove this, nor do I have the time to, but I think that's wrong.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:57 PM

It'd be cool if there were a poker version of the Tuck rule. Can we just pretend that river card never actually happened, and that it was an 8 instead of an A? It's never been enforced before, but it's a rule - just trust me.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I can't think of a definitive way to prove this, nor do I have the time to, but I think that's wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anytime you want to actually contribute, please come back to the thread and do so.

Love,
The Tall Man
Old 11-08-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising here with 88 and getting checked to in a large, multiway pot with, say, 1 overcard can put hero in a very tough spot indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This starts to answer my question re: advantages/disadvantage of calling/raising -- so I will use it as a jumping off point to discuss why raising here sucks:

(1) As WD implies, with four other players in the hand, even a single overcard makes this hand very difficult to play forward. Some math-oriented type can likely tell us the probability that one of your loose fish will hold said overcard.

(2) Even without an overcard on the flop, you have made the pot big enough that all or most of these loose callers feel obligated to continue playing with their two overcards. (I guess this is not all bad since your pot equity has probably gone up with a ragged flop, but you have lost any control you might have had in a small pot.)

(3) Assuming these loose callers have any modicum of standards for limping in, your 88 has pot equity of just around breakeven -- 20% -- and probably less.

OK, those are my initial random thoughts that are probably full of holes.... I will add that with only one or two others in the hand, I think raising is a no-brainer...

back to the misery that is my work...
Old 11-08-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anytime you want to actually contribute, please come back to the thread and do so.

Love,
The Tall Man

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Joe,

I'm sorry if one of our lesser posters (double entendre) are giving you trouble. Please don't let that deter you from continuing to post in this forum.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],
jason_t