Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Comments and Results

Thanks for the comments. Everyone is advocating at least a re-raise to around the t200 mark, if not a push. I pushed and the original caller did what I expected. However, the BB surprised me!

PartyPoker - NL Texas Hold'em $30 Buy-in + $3 Entry Fee Tournament | Level: 2 - 9 players (Converter: PGC)

Chip Counts:
Button: 585 Chips
<font color="red">Hero: 740 Chips</font>
BB: 660 Chips
UTG: 85 Chips
UTG+1: 865 Chips
MP1: 1745 Chips
MP2: 770 Chips
MP3: 1605 Chips
CO: 945 Chips

Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Blinds are 15/30

PreFlop
UTG is All-In, <font color="blue">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="blue">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="blue">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="blue">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="green">CO Calls</font>, <font color="blue">Button folds</font>
Hero is All-In, BB is All-In, <font color="blue">CO folds</font>

(3 players) FLOP: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ( Pot Size: 1570 Chips )

(3 players) TURN: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ( Pot Size: 1570 Chips )

(3 players) RIVER: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ( Pot Size: 1570 Chips )

Final Pot:1570 Chips

Results:
UTG shows:Ks4s,two pairs, kings and tens
SB shows:KdAh,two pairs, kings and tens
BB shows:JcQc,a straight, nine to king
Old 11-22-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: ($33): All-in with a caller, AK out of position call/raise/push?

I don't see why it has to be an all or nothing hand. I'd basically ignore the short stack's 85 chips, assume someone fromlate position opened with a standard raise and act accordingly (probably re-raise, and these stack sizes might indicate a push). I wonder how, and why, your answer to this problem would change if there was no short stack in the pot from UTG.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see why it has to be an all or nothing hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, a few people have suggested the re-raise to something like t200, while most have said that they also like a push here.

I'm in the SB here, so I'll be out of position for the rest of the hand so pushing can eliminate this and most likely isolate me with the original All-in giving my AK a better chance of winning.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, a few people have suggested the re-raise to something like t200, while most have said that they also like a push here.

I'm in the SB here, so I'll be out of position for the rest of the hand so pushing can eliminate this and most likely isolate me with the original All-in giving my AK a better chance of winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

BB was a total donk, of course.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess what I'm most curious about is how the short stack all-in factors into the decision. If his chips make it such that a reraise sufficient to do its job would commit me, then I see an all-in.

Or, are most people saying they would push with AKo whenever someone in middle or late position comes it for 3xBB (given these stack sizes and blinds).
Old 11-22-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess what I'm most curious about is how the short stack all-in factors into the decision. If his chips make it such that a reraise sufficient to do its job would commit me, then I see an all-in.

Or, are most people saying they would push with AKo whenever someone in middle or late position comes it for 3xBB (given these stack sizes and blinds).

[/ QUOTE ]

It all depends, I'd make a decision at the table in the example you give, depending on lots of factors -- maybe raise, maybe push, maybe call.

For OP's situation, there's already too much in the middle for me to do anything but push.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Comments and Results

I like your play. It was just a gross outcome. The BB is a [censored] in every possible way. Tough break.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It all depends, I'd make a decision at the table in the example you give, depending on lots of factors -- maybe raise, maybe push, maybe call.

For OP's situation, there's already too much in the middle for me to do anything but push.

[/ QUOTE ]So, it's not that someone is already all-in, but rather that there are enough chips in the pot that an all-in is called for? So, you would have pushed even if UTG had put 85 of his 800 chips in the pot and someone had already called? That seems reasonable.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]So, it's not that someone is already all-in, but rather that there are enough chips in the pot that an all-in is called for? So, you would have pushed even if UTG had put 85 of his 800 chips in the pot and someone had already called? That seems reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sums it up.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, it's not that someone is already all-in, but rather that there are enough chips in the pot that an all-in is called for? So, you would have pushed even if UTG had put 85 of his 800 chips in the pot and someone had already called? That seems reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I ask myself when deciding whether to raise some standard amount, or just push.

When do I open push this to pick up the blinds? So, here I have t740 in chips so I would be looking to pick up the blinds at 50/100 blind level (&lt;10xBB). In other words, to me pushing with AK to pick t150 is worth it. In this case, there is t170 in the pot so a push is worth it here.

Is this a reasonable approach?