Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Re: 10/20: blind defense round 5, part 1 - 33

[ QUOTE ]
ANyone want a 3-bet preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

not particularly. I think the line is perfect
Old 09-19-2005, 10:45 AM

My gut reaction is to raise the turn. What's the downside to that approach?
Old 09-19-2005, 11:27 AM

Does a flop raise do any good here?
Old 09-19-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My gut reaction is to raise the turn. What's the downside to that approach?

[/ QUOTE ]

getting 3bet or donked
Old 09-19-2005, 12:53 PM

Tan,

Yes it does! In fact, I love defending small pairs to a steal raise this way. It works beautifully. First, I just call preflop to see if I like the flop. A-K-10 I hate, 10-7-5 I love, J-10-2 I like ok, etc. We all know how to evaluate a flop for its liklihood to have hit a certain raiser. If I hate the flop, I fold having only lost one small bet. If I love or like the flop, I play at it. If the preflop raise came from the SB, I raise his flop bet. If the preflop raise came from the button, I checkraise the flop.

The benefit here is that I'm representing that I hit the flop. I often do have the best hand and get him off it on the flop or turn. Sometimes I get him off a better hand like 5-5 or 9-9 or bottom pair. Sometimes I get him off a hand that would have drawn out like K9. If he plays back at me now, then my threes lose their value and I fold the turn unimproved. Remember, it's very hard for someone to play at you on the flop and bet the turn with no pair, but it's very easy for someone to continue betting no pair in hopes that you'll fold.

So all in all, I'm investing $20 on the flop and $20 on the turn (but he folds to the flop raise say 35%) for an average of about $32 bucks postflop, and I get him off many winners. In your line, you invest $50 postflop and let him draw out on you many times, in your example he could have easily hit the king on the river.

PS. The three-bet preflop I hate. It's too much to invest early with such a vulnerable hand. You make the pot too big for him to get off a weak pair or a weak draw.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I get him off a better hand like 5-5 or 9-9 or bottom pair. . . . and I get him off many winners

[/ QUOTE ]

Below is villain's description:

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is 75/27/1 over 36 hands. Very loose preflop, kind of loose/aggressive postflop but not maniac.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think that a flop raise is getting this villain to fold a beter hand like . . . ever.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pf/flop/turn are good. Call river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-19-2005, 02:28 PM

Here we go:

I didn't 3bet preflop because I would be bloating the pot against a player who is going to take overcards to the river no matter what I do. I'll also be raised off the best hand postflop often.

I didn't raise the flop because this player bets too much. I want him to keep betting. The pot is small and i'm ahead of much of his range. He autobets this flop 100%. If I raise I stop him from betting most of his worse hands and get called by a few A-hi hands and lots of pair hands. Additionally, he is not above 3betting an OESD or AK or some-crap here.

I didn't raise the turn for all the reasons I didn't raise the flop, except now i'm less likely to be called down by A-hi and more likely to be called down by a pair. I'll also occasionally be 3bet by a FD + overs. There's no reason to worry about him drawing to 6 outs, the pot is small. This villain will follow through on the turn a high %-age of the time.

On the river the K hits. This is a bad card. Aside from a few A-hi hands, many of his PFR hands are now ahead. Additionally, it is doubtful IMO that he would continuation-bet this river which brings in quite a few draws (straight, flush, overcards...). At this point he's expecting me to call after I have quickly called the flop + turn, so his river bet is a value-bet. I don't figure to be ahead 1 in 6 so I fold.

Surf
Old 09-19-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Additionally, it is doubtful IMO that he would continuation-bet this river which brings in quite a few draws (straight, flush, overcards...). At this point he's expecting me to call after I have quickly called the flop + turn, so his river bet is a value-bet

[/ QUOTE ]

Therein lies the flaw of your reasoning.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:44 PM

i sometimes take this line of calling the turn with no outs and folding the river. it feels dirty when i do it but i think it's correct in certain spots.