Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Bush setting the stage for leaving Iraq?

Oh there will be elections all right. They may even have less fraud and controversy than the elections here. But make no mistake that the division lines between Sunni, Shia and Kurd are 10 times wider than the division between Democrat and Republican in this country. It will be a vote down those lines, and the Shia majority will control the newly formed government.

U.S. Troops will be dying in Iraq past 2007.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:52 PM

"Saying we werent going to leave if the newly elected government asks us to really isnt an option."

...and for the newly elected government, asking us to leave isn't really an option. Bush knows this, but the quote sounds hopeful and reassuring anyway, to the american public and the Iraquis, too, i'm sure.

it's harmless posturing, IMO.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:55 PM

The hard-core insurgents are not participating in the election, and in fact are doing everything they can to sabotage it. Those elected are likely to be seen by a lot of Iraqis as puppents and collaborators. Whoever gets elected would probably not stay in power for more than a week if we leave. I just don't see them asking us to leave. I would love to be wrong, though.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:59 PM

This isn't news; its the official line. We said the same thing during Vietnam and the Soviets said the same thing in Afghanistan. You think a government who's army answers to U.S. commanders will ask us to terminate reconstruction aid and leave it defenseless in a civil war, where every "collaborator" and their families are targets? Don't hold your breath. The U.S. threw Iraq into the deep end and holds the only life line. We'll be there to "help" for as long as we want.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that everybody is missing the point here. The point is we are installing the government. They will ask us to do whatever we tell them to ask us to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.

The only way US troops will leave Iraq any time soon is by being re-tasked into Iran.

q/q
Old 01-28-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, you're inferring that you think we'll be out soon. Then why did you make this statement?

"leaving Iraq would be a mistake so serious that I shudder to consider the consequences."

[/ QUOTE ]

Toro I give up trying to have a discussion with you. You do not understand logic nor the English language.

Nowhere, I repeat, nowhere, have I implied that we should or will be leaving Iraq too soon. I informed you that President Bush has been saying all along that we will folow the wishes of the Iraqi government, not when a madman from Mass. expects us to depart. (And that doesn't mean Ted Kennendy this time)
Old 01-29-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Stageright

[ QUOTE ]
WASHINGTON— President Bush said in an interview yesterday that he would withdraw U.S. troops from Iraq if the new government that is elected on Sunday asked him to do so, but that he expected Iraq’s first democratically elected leaders would want the United States to remain as helpers, not as occupiers.

[/ QUOTE ]

The official status of the United States in Iraq, right now, is that of an occupying power, as recognized by the UN. And this is not a trivial formality because it affords the United States various courses of action regarding Iraq's fortune --and fortunes.

So, coming to the issue of Bush being ready to leave Iraq if asked, I would first like to see the status of the US changed, after tomorrow's elections, from that of an occupier to that of "helper" -- whatever that means.

Then we can start taking Dubya at his word.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Stageright

[ QUOTE ]
official status of the United States in Iraq, right now, is that of an occupying power, as recognized by the UN.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it when one of you guys quote the United Nations. Your desperation is showing Cyrus. You might as well be quoting Dan Rather and his objective perspective.