Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Re: BACK down to 2/4

[ QUOTE ]
I'm moving up and down from/to 2/4 to 3/6 all the time. And I still can't beat 3/6 for some reason. At 2/4 I'm close to 3.5 BB/100 over the last 30k hands (have only used PT for about a month or two, since I changed sites). But at 3/6 I'm down about 1 BB/100 over 10k hands.
It fells to me like 2/4 is much easier than 3/6. Or perhaps it's just the variance.

I know I will keep playing 2/4 for a while longer, with the occasional stab at 3/6 until I can make the same money/h at 3/6 as I do today a 2/4

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience is similar. I think that 3/6 is significantly tighter than 2/4, and probably the first limit where successful play needs to be more than relentless value betting. BTW I used to play you at crypto pominos, glad to see you don't play there any more [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2005, 10:55 AM

I just wrote a lengthly post about aggression and how it is not the only club in the bag you will need as you move up. But, at that moment, my login interval expired and the board flushed it. A shame, I thought it was a good post.

So, instead, suffice to say that as you move up you will find that you need to develop more skills in order to compete and be profitable. Work on developing those skills. If you don't know what those skills are, keep at it and you will. Just maintain an open mind and keep posting hands.

- Jim
Old 09-26-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

reason I like full tables is it allows me to play position better than 6 max and i play 4 tables right now, which is much harder to do if they are 6max tables.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to read a deeper explanation of what you mean by this statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, position is extremely important in 6-max.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just wrote a lengthly post about aggression and how it is not the only club in the bag you will need as you move up. But, at that moment, my login interval expired and the board flushed it. A shame, I thought it was a good post.

[/ QUOTE ]

when I'm writing lengthy posts I do it in word and then copy/paste. It's easier that that little box, and you don't run the risk of getting flushed.

I'd love to read your thoughts on non-aggression skillz that I need to be developing now, while I'm in the micros.

! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!
Old 09-26-2005, 12:06 PM

Agression should still be your biggest club in your bag, even at 3/6, but you need to have a few other clubs in the bag as well. Table selection, hand protection, and isolation are the big ones you need to learn. Just be careful not to forget about your big club once you learn to use the others. Its only when you combine the other skills with solid, skull bashing agression that you will really start to see excellent results.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:36 PM

I play primarily 2/4 but I do play 3/6 when I can find a good table or two. I can't imagine just 'moving up' and only playing a certain limit no matter what. Don't block yourself in by limiting yourself to one level, play wherever you feel like you have an edge.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:31 PM

This is wrong in my opinion. Hand reading, qualifying seats and tempo all rank higher than aggression in my book. But they all work together to create good strategy.

- Jim
Old 09-26-2005, 01:37 PM

tempo?

are you talking about betting patterns or mixing up play here? How useful is this online?
Old 09-26-2005, 02:03 PM

Those are the same thing =). As you move up, I find it's more important. Probably starting at the 5/10.

- Jim
Old 09-26-2005, 03:09 PM

As a long term winner is 3/6 full and a short term winner in 3/6 6 max, I think the average level is play is low enough that you alot of the 'changing up your game' is lost as the majority of your opponents. If you are at a better table, I agree, that you need to temper your agression with other factors such as changing speeds, being able to getting a solid range of hands, and playing position well. But, the bottom line is, if you are a better table and your in 3/6...time to find a new table.