Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 05:35 AM

Default Re: $22 early - TT in BB, four limpers, re-raised when I pop - Hero do

[ QUOTE ]
If AK wants to take the limp/reraise line here, and get me to fold my hand, then more power to him. Most of the time, this play means AA/KK. Especially when I raised out of the blind, meaning I have a pretty strong hand. It would take some real Cajones to reraise all-in here with AK.

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem is, people get POed at your constant raising and limp-reraise you with anything that TT has owned. I find it very hard to laydown to a reraise from a donk that just says "stop raising my limps dammit."

TT is better than AK on a multiway J53 flop because TT is a vulnerable hand with tons of reverse implied odds. It's easy to fold AK here, but it's not so good to play TT that way.

There are very few times you're getting HU even with a signifigant raise, and a lot of those times, you have no idea where Villain can be at.

I really prefer checking here.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is AK better than TT on a J53 flop? TT has a pair, that heads up is probably good, whereas AK has nothing, which may be good. If I'm heads up with TT on that flop, I'm definately betting, whereas with ak, I may still bet, but not as often as with TT.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you bet and villain pushes do you call? If you don't, you've pissed half of your chips away and you have no idea if you were actually beaten or did he just bluff you out with A high.

And if you autocheck/fold when A, K or both flop without T, you give 175 chips (or what was your preflop raise) away 1/3 of flops you see.

With these short stacks I definitely want to see cheap flop with my OOP TT.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would raise this preflop almost every time. There are 4 hands better than TT, and since no one raised, you are most likely ahead here. Make it 175, and you'll usually win preflop. If someone limps then goes all-in, I'd fold, but making it 175 should get it at least heads up, where an overcard won't mean you have to check/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are 5 hands better than TT. Just because TT is a favorite over AK doesn't mean it's any better, and it's not. AKs gets more equity in a field like this, and AK is just better most of the time.

Plus, AK either hits or doesn't. A J53 board is much more dangerous for TT then AK, especially in a raised pot, whereas checking allows you to play this hand very easily and straightforwardly. (autocheck-flop, fold most of the time, raise set, raise/call/fold overpair depending on action)

I really like the check OOP here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you guys assuming that you're always getting called. I almost always make it 150-175 here preflop and play some poker if called. I think we take the pot down enough times to make raising profitable. Actually, I think pushing preflop is better. That 150 is a nice boost to our stack, and we're much more likely to get called by worst hands than better ones. CHecking here gives up a lot of value IMO.

Edit: Okay, so pushign is much better the more I think about it. It seems overly weak-tight playing TT like 22 here. I don't mind a check in level 1, but the pot is already big enough and TT is the perfect hand to push. And I love it when some donkey puts me on AK and calls with his 44 in this spot. Much more likely than someone getting tricky with AA-QQ.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:34 AM

I like pushing too...
Old 08-12-2005, 12:01 PM

pushing, because its good at the low limits.

otherwise enter "master of the check/fold" to anything but unders or a set.