Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 09:35 AM

Default Re: virus/spyware help needed quick.

A bit more from PCPitstop:

"How do I stop a program temporarily?

Windows 95/98/Me: Press Ctrl-Alt-Del and select the program you want to stop from the list of running programs. The name on this list will usually match the file name without the extension. Click the End Task button to stop the program.

Windows NT/2000/XP: Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager. Click the Processes tab and select the program you want to stop from the list. Click the End Process button to stop the program.

If the program has been automatically configured to start, it will start the next time you boot your computer. This is a good way to see if a program is really needed. Stop the program using the method above, then use the computer for a few hours. If you do not see any negative effects or loss of functionality, then you can probably disable the program permanently.

How do I uninstall a program?

The best way to permanently stop a program from running is to uninstall it. Click Start | Settings | Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs. Find the name of the program you want to remove on the list and select it. Then click the Add/Remove button. Some programs, particularly spyware and adware, may not completely remove themselves when they are uninstalled. In these cases you may need to use a spyware cleaner such as Pest Patrol.

How can MSConfig prevent programs from running?

In some cases, you may only want to disable one part of a program, or the program may not have provided an uninstall entry. Windows 98/Me/XP users can use the System Configuration Utility (MSConfig) that is provided as part of those versions of Windows: Click Start | Run and type msconfig. Then click the Startup tab. You will see a list of programs that will run each time you start your PC. Clear the checkbox next to an item to prevent it from running. If you later find that you need that program, go back to MSConfig and check the box next to that item, and reboot."

http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/disable.asp#stop
Old 03-28-2005, 02:57 PM

read these two links...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...u=/ttzd/144999 Windows Performance

Windows Performance II

Then go here, this is the BEST site to determine what should be running on your system, I did all of this when I was going through the 'online poker is rigged' stage of my poker education.

Black Viper's web page
Old 03-28-2005, 03:22 PM

It's called TeaTimer. It rocks. It's under one of the advanced options somewhere. It's a screen with a few checkboxes on it.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's called TeaTimer. It rocks. It's under one of the advanced options somewhere. It's a screen with a few checkboxes on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i found tea timer in the help files when i read his post about the registry protector. i use spybot daily and had not heard of the registry protector. anyway, when i went to look at the tea time thing i got that nasty warning about switching to advance mode.

if anyone can screw things up, i can. however, now that you say it is a good thing to use, i am going to enable it now.

if i don't see you guys for a week, blame (or REWARD) bradley.

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2005, 11:36 PM

I have had a computer for 4-5 years.Its been upgraded and such but has had alot of use.I ran ad-aware se personal every other day -thinking it cleared all the spyware from ads and other crap.Thinking my computer was clean ,I was always wondering why it was running so slow.By fluke I came across spysweeper.com .You have to eventually buy it -but you get a free 30-day trial period.I never knew this but apparently when my ad-aware se personal gets rid of spyware but doesnt get rid of "traces"-whatever the hell that means.Anyway after my first run of spysweeper it cleared out over 2000 traces and has helped speed up my computer.Im' no computer expert but you may want to try this -at least for the free 30 days.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
read these two links...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...u=/ttzd/144999 Windows Performance

Windows Performance II

Then go here, this is the BEST site to determine what should be running on your system, I did all of this when I was going through the 'online poker is rigged' stage of my poker education.

Black Viper's web page

[/ QUOTE ]

Black Viper site REALLY helped me clean up a bunch of unnecessary crap.