Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: I WILL TEACH YOU TO BEAT ME

do you realize how popular poker is? i assure you that the viewership of ESPN's coverage of WSOP dwarfs the readership of this forum. those are new people loading up Party or Stars every day.

secondly, as has been said, it takes a hell of a lot of work to "beat" any game with consistency.

i honestly cannot imagine that someone could come to 2+2 view all posts of one-player and then "beat" their game based upon that information. does this sound mildly crazy to anyone else?

i learn infinitely more about my own game from thinking about other people's hands in a serious way, which i think is the case for most readers here.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:36 PM

"Dancing is silent poetry."

- Simonides (556-468bc)
Old 12-06-2005, 12:41 PM

Sorry to have offended anyone here,that was not my motive.To wake up yes,to offend NO.All I want to do is bring attention to something which is very important.What are one's motives?To show the world how clever and great poker player one is,or to make money playing the game.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Our little poker game is an ever changing climate.Takes experience to see differences which really matter.Which because of your experience you can now put into affect.This takes time to work out exactly how to employ new plays.I will not be the only one to work these things out nor you.
But some LUNATIC experienced poker player comes along to tell everyone what new tactics to use.My motive Pooh is to wake some people up as to cause and affect.

[/ QUOTE ]

better players will be aware of this and will try to stay one step ahead. This is off point though.

You're being overly cryptic for no real good reason. If you feel discussing poker is detrimental to your wallet, you shouldnt feel shy about discussing "why" discussing poker is detrimental to your wallet. Or is this just a joke?

If I had to guess, you are a newer player who has recently been on a good run who now feels that he knows all the poker "secrets" and resents the flow of information...Am I close?
Old 12-06-2005, 12:50 PM

NO Pooh,you are not close.I'm a very experienced player 15 years pro player.Maybe I just come from the old school of thought where you kept tight lipped knowing what ever you give out can come back to you.So you only shared with a few close people to discuss.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:54 PM

i see. so i'm once again being told that i should keep my mouth shut about anything that is a reasonably good amount of strategy? great.

i guess that what you're saying is you don't understand why anyone contributes to the forum. well, if that's your question you should ask it in any of a number of other forums: psych, internet, general, etc.

almost anyone who contributes here also gets more in return than they give. more importantly, the easiest way to get better isn't just to read, but to actively have someone critique your analysis.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:55 PM

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)
Old 12-06-2005, 12:58 PM

I gotta call bull [censored]. Their are widespread books telling exactly how to beat limit that have been availible for 25 years. Limit is still very beatable. If you really think there are "secrets" to success in poker after 15 years of playing, you suck.

It's more like golf. If I read a book by arnold or jack or tiger, I'll still suck. If I read them and spend lots of time and effert to learn, get some coaching, play lots, put myself in pressure situations in tourniments, maybe I will acheave some measure of talent in the game.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NO Pooh,you are not close.I'm a very experienced player 15 years pro player.Maybe I just come from the old school of thought where you kept tight lipped knowing what ever you give out can come back to you.So you only shared with a few close people to discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok...then I apologize.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your "school" of thought. I just happen to be of the sort that learns by interacting, not just by reading/lurking.

Being successful has very little correlation with being "tight lipped" however. Trust me, people who want to get good, will, but the majority of players have little interest in this, or just a waning interest. I sincerely believe (not to sound elitist) that raw intelligence is a prereq for being a longterm winner and even then, most are too lazy to do the work. There is no passive learning in this game, it takes an active role on one's part. If that means experience and uninvolved lurking, then, fine. If it means an active role in hand discussion then that's fine too. Overall though, this forum has very little impact on the state of the game in the big picture. People come and go from here and many never really win. Thats how I see it anyway.

Furthermore, why don't you take your gripes up with the publishing here. According to your logic, they are the ones that started this -EV chain of events.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:06 PM

I have several good friends (lawyers, traders, financial analysts) who I consider very intelligent people and who play online. I watch them play and discuss strategy with them and you know what? we've each been playing for around 1 1/2 years and they have improved FAR less than me. why? they dont put the effort to take their game to the next level.

While they could have studied these forums, or books, or SOMETHING, they dont do that. They continue to have major leaks in their game, and while they are not HORRIBLE players, their lack of effort to learn holds them back.

This is why I am not worried about what I say on these forums.
Closed Thread