Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: lost with TPTK

Well, I'd have to go to felt now, given the action.

He have played it pretty passively so I keep leading 1/2 pot and pray to god he calls with a weaker A.

I'd go for the c/r but unless he was drawing and missed (highly doubtful) no hand you are beating puts in chips.

If you are raised, bleah, can't fold, go broke.

Bleah.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 10-24-2005, 03:27 PM

If he was drawing he won't call, but he may bet. He may have AQ and be happy you are continuing to bet into him. But if he's that sort of a player he will probably cheaply value bet the river.

I'm check-calling here.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that he called on that board and the Q coming off the turn I'm having problems putting him on a hand you beat, unless he's an uber-donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about JT of spades? Seems a reasonable guess. Of course, that's just about the only reasonable hand you beat, unless he's the sort to call preflop raises with small-to-medium suited connectors like 9Ts, 89s, etc.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:05 PM

This is how I approach this situation:

Firstly I'm not going to check. If I check my opponent will bet probably 100% of the time and I then face a probable river bet assuming I don't improve my hand. I'm not even sure if a King is an out. The only advantage to checking is if your opponent checks back, but he might try an get tricky on the river. I see this line of play as a potential way to lose the most chips.

Secondly, based on the flop play there is nothing to suggest
that at least on the flop that you are behind. I would bet the turn. I'd make around a 3/4 pot sized bet and take it from there. If I'm raised I would probably fold and live to fight another day. I'd assume in a $30 tournament if I'm raised I'm beat. The board is as scarey looking to your opponent as it is to you. If you're outplayed you still have enough chips to continue.

Bruce
Old 10-24-2005, 01:43 PM

There are plenty of hands you are still ahead of on the turn. KQ spades or not, J10 spades, A10/A9, KJ. KK. I lead the turn for about 550 and probably (but not always) fold to a push.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are plenty of hands you are still ahead of on the turn. KQ spades or not, J10 spades, A10/A9, KJ. KK. I lead the turn for about 550 and probably (but not always) fold to a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you on the river?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:28 PM

check and see.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
check and see.

[/ QUOTE ]

arg, i feel like i'm dragging this out of you...

what if i check and he pushes. what's your play?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:49 PM

sorry, when he pushes you only need to be good one time in 3 to make the call correct. Given that I bet the turn, I think I'm going to be good one time in three here against this guy, because i don't think there are very many hands its a good idea to play the way he did (call flop and turn, push river). Sure, sometimes he flopped a set or has a house or whatever but often enough he's a donk who thinks the 3rd A just made his A10 a monster. Sure, there are some players this is a fold against, but against an unknown I'm not in the habit of making big river folds.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:36 PM

I don't think you can check-fold on the turn, there are plenty of drawing hands that could still be around. So i'd bet out again, and on that river.. hm... i guess maybe check-call, trry and induce a bluff from a missed spade draw..and it's not like weaker aces would check behind there, so cheeck-call the river.