Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: .
BruceZ 31 29.52%
Sthief 74 70.48%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2005, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Was this game crooked?

Nope. A previous poster nailed it when he said "Why would they swindle $10 out of you and then offer you a beer?" If this was a hustle they would have offered you a chance to get even at double the stakes. Ya just don't hustle people for $10 and be done with it.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:35 AM

there's nothing about your story that brings up even a hint of a scam?

even as you left they were talking about your hand, rather than talking about how much of a sucker you are.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:26 PM

How do I know the post is a waste of my time until I'm done reading it? I think I just blew your mind.....
Old 06-30-2005, 03:03 PM

Definitely crooked. These scam artists make a killing this way. With three of them working most nights you figure they find some sap like you at least 200 times a year. At 10 bucks a pop thats like 2000/year for just three of them to split! After travel and other expenses they each only have to pony up like 50K each to live this amazing lifestyle.

Oh, and after playing a million hands of holdem or so, i can tell you i have never seen someone flop a set while the other flopped a straight. Imagine that, without the board pairing on 5th st. Sheesh.

You should go to the authorities and tell them all about this. Maybe they can still track them down. I expect but cannot be sure that they will offer you immunity for violating gambling laws in exchange for your testimony against these felons. If they don't I am sure at least they will offer you a reduced penalty.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:13 PM

You are a funny guy
Old 06-30-2005, 04:17 PM

How is this related to "Poker Theory"?

Yes, every time you have a good hand and it's beaten by a better hand, the game is crooked. This happens often online. You've been warned.

In other news....
Old 06-30-2005, 04:25 PM

Let me see if I've got this right....a three handed game with two strangers you happened to meet and they bring their own deck? I know its only $10, but lets skip the cut so we can get in more hands?

Put one hand on your zippper ond the other on your wallet.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me see if I've got this right....a three handed game with two strangers you happened to meet and they bring their own deck? I know its only $10, but lets skip the cut so we can get in more hands?

Put one hand on your zippper ond the other on your wallet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is not a scam, but what the hell is up with the no cut? It takes, what, 2 seconds?

-ptmusic
Old 06-30-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two hands later, I get QQ. I raise $2, he reluctantly calls. The flop comes A-K-Q, two clubs. Heads up, I've got a monster. I bet another $2 (trying to make it look as if I'm stealing), he jokes with his buddy, and then calls. The turn is a Tc. This is where I made the biggest mistake, because I started to panic that someone with two clubs or a J has me beat. I think what are the odds he has that, what are the odds he'd fold to an all-in, and all the other important factors (knowing that I have a 10 out redraw if I'm behind to a straight or flush). I push all-in, and he calls. He turns over JT. Is it likely that we'd have these two hands, and that we'd both flop monsters?

[/ QUOTE ]

At the mid-point of my -150BB slide playing 3/6 and 5/10 this month, I had QQ in the BB against a player on the button who coldcalled a CO openraise with JTo...and the flop came AKQ.

The CO folded the turn, but I never improved. It wasn't pleasant.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:58 PM

Plenty of people have already answered about whether you were scammed or not and agree that it is unlikely. I was scammed out of $1200.00 bucks once. Not in a poker game but it did involve a pretty girl. I was far more pissed about how gullible I was than over loosing the money. Whether you were scammed or not you learned a valuable lesson for 10 bucks. When it comes to money, Trust No One. If a situation feels the least bit wrong, get the heck out of there.