Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 03:44 AM

Default Re: Easy push, easy fold, or tough decision?

I fold regardless

AA KK and AK are really the most logical hands that UTG+1 has so your best bet is that your 50-50 against him (and that doesn't even take into consideration that UTG is still to act). I fold, clear cut.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:52 AM

Find a better spot. fold.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:56 AM

I would fold. I doubt UTG has KK or AA, but I'd be worried that UTG+1 does. Save the chips for a better spot.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:52 AM

This is a good spot for UTG to bluff here. He made a standard raise for this position to show strength, but I would not put him on AA-KK as if he was good player, he needs to vary his play from time to time. I would put him a high ace or king though. With no read on UTG1, he could just be trying to feign strength knowing it will be difficult to put him on a hand and with a below average stack to try to steal with pot sized bet.

With an M of about 12, and going against similar sized stacks this definitely is a tough decision. For me I would likely push and hope for the best.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:58 AM

having an M of 12 in this situation is what makes the decision so difficult. if your M was much lower you'd have to think this might be your last chance to get your money in for a big pay off. if your M was closer to 20 it would make the decision either way easier to live with.

very tough lay down for me.... but i suck.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:08 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

Based on 2.5 hours of play from the UTG player, you must give him credit for some sort of strong hand.

It isn't impossible for him to be on 10/10 or J/J. But given the percentages you posted for him, I don't see him making that raise UTG with anything but the following:

A/K
A/Q suited
10/10
J/J
Q/Q
K/K
A/A

Now, we don't have any info on the UTG+1 player, but his re-raise is pretty significant. If he's a good player, it should indicate A/K, J/J and above pairs.

While my first gut instinct was to push and hope for a coin-flip with a large pot that can put us into real contention (perhaps they are both on A/Q and A/K type hands), I think there's a good possibility we're beat here.

I probably wouldn't have taken that much time to think this through, I probably would've pushed with my Queens. But I think it's correct to fold here. You aren't in push or fold mode just yet, you have enough chips that you can wait for a better spot. Although the amount of chips in this pot are extremely inviting. We have the potential of tripling up possibly, in the least doubling up. But we also have a possibility of busting.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:34 PM

So I put UTG on AA-10/10, AK-AQ, and UTG+1 on AA-JJ,AK. Plugging this into pokerstove, I got the following numbers.

Against just UTG+1, QQ has 47.4% equity. Against UTG and UTG+1,
Hero: 34.98%
UTG: 27.67%
UTG+1: 37.35%

Given this, it seems like a push is in order. Do these hand ranges seem realistic?

-J.A.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:51 PM

I would add AJ for UTG and 10/10 for UTG+1.

I add these cards because they are less likely but take into account the probably that they bluff.

Hard decision.. Stars 10+1 is pretty aggressive...You have to consider that UTG will fold unless he has AA/KK and maybe AK, UTG+1 will call almost every time so there's no FE. Do you want to risk your stack for a at best coin flip...

FOLD