Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Harrington\'s Book -- How Good?

hi
i just purchased the Harrington on hold'em book and have read about 1/2. am i currect in thinking that most of his thoughts on tight/conservative play early in a tournament would be applicable to NL cash game??? are there any other books that you would suggest for NL cash games??
thanks
Old 04-08-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hi
i just purchased the Harrington on hold'em book and have read about 1/2. am i currect in thinking that most of his thoughts on tight/conservative play early in a tournament would be applicable to NL cash game??? are there any other books that you would suggest for NL cash games??
thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Not everything in Vol. 1 applies to cash games, but there is a lot of solid information that you can acquire from it. You just have to filter it out.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:15 AM

I would dare say that for the SNG player its the best book available. He adresses numerous SNG situations in the book and notes many of the online issues that are different from live play.
I am on my 5th reading and I cannot believe how much good info is in it. On a side not I played 100 SNGs before reading HOH and had an ITM % of 44 with 30% ROI. So far my next 60 SNGS at this level im ITM 52% of the time with a ridiculous 61% ROI.
I know these are small samples but I attribute at least 75% of my better results to HOH. THe sections on betting half the pot when its checked around to you in various situations is worth the price of the book. Ive prob won 5 or 6 tourneys alone with that idea even using it as a fake bet once
Get this book!!
Old 04-11-2005, 10:21 AM

it is THE best book I have read - bought it a week ago and read it twice on holiday last week it was so good.
I came back and won the first game I played, my first MTT on sunday [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], had 3 other top table finishes since, my wins have more than paid for the book [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] (I generally play up to $5 buy ins).

Have been playing nearly a year and have steadily got better, but I have made a real leap after reading HoH, more so because I am starting to see what others are doing and starting to understand why they are doing it (like betting half pot in late position when checked around etc).

If you are a beginner/intermediate player then BUY IT, you will not regret it

cheers

Damian
Old 04-11-2005, 12:56 PM

I chopped the prize money in my first NL tournament this weekend after reading HOH. Although 1 tournament is as small a sample size as you can get, there were many situations throughout the tournament where I was faced with a decision which normally I would have played one way, but because of HOH I picked a different route. Every time I picked that different route I either picked up a pot that I otherwise would have lost, or I saved myself money on a hand that otherwise would have busted me out of the tournament. I know for a fact I would have busted out of this tournament if it wasn't for that book. So my copy has already paid for itself 20 times over.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:06 PM

FWIW, I won the very first MTT (over 1400 entrants) I played after completing HoH. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Coincidence? I think not, but your mileage may vary.