Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: What seperates a good internet player from a pro internet player

Right.

There is a big difference between asking what seperates 'good player from "pro" player' and asking what seperates 'decent player from really good player'.

I think where you ran into trouble here is that you really meant to ask the 2nd question. You are a decent player and want some ideas on what aspects of your game would differ the most from those who significantly better...the experts.
The comments on blind-steals and not passing up small edges, etc are pretty reasonable responses.

to answer your original question "good player vs. pro" (if my definite of pro is accurate) I think the greater issue is money-management. As well as the ability to get in plenty of hands per month....so that would fall under the category of 'discipline'.
So money-management and discipline would be my answers for the original question.

In other words, I am a pretty mediocre player...but I am ALSO a pro in that I have been living solely off of my online-poker income for almost a year. It is my profession, thus I consider myself a pro (and am filing as a 'professional gambler' for tax purposes).
I get in enough hands per month to pay the bills....I have the ability to sit here and click buttons for 8-hours or more at a shot without too much difficulty. I have generally enough discipline to not get so excited with a few quick wins that I decide to run down to the B&M's and blow $4000 just for kicks. etc etc.

that doesn't make me a very great player. It just makes me one who has enough discipline to be a "pro".

p.s. - I'm really not THAT disciplined to be honest. My record-keeping is for shiite and I need to get in more hands per week (and stop screwing around on 2+2 so much).
However, I can still call myself 'disciplined enough' because of the people I know who will win $150 at 1/2 and then move up to 2/4 and then move up to 5/10 by the end of the day...etc etc.

Compared to guys like goodguy_1 and mssunshine and others I'm an immature, undisciplined hack.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a big difference between asking what seperates 'good player from "pro" player' and asking what seperates 'decent player from really good player'.

I think where you ran into trouble here is that you really meant to ask the 2nd question.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I've already answered the first question I'll take a shot at the 2nd as well: The ability to correctly vary your play. To get good at one game in one condition isn't very hard. To get good at multiple games in multiple conditions, and correctly identifying those conditions is what separates the experts imho.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:37 PM

I think that this is exactly what separates the "good" from the "expert". What is often lost on internet pros (and they are quick to admit this) is the ability to clearly assess the table environment. Really this means that they partially lose the ability to follow the action and get specific reads on players due to the fact that they multitable (a specific skill in and of itself). Many, if not most, of these players have the ability to get pretty specific reads (perhaps even easily calling another player's exact hand based on the way they played it) if they played fewer (or, god forbid, even just one) tables, but it is simply foolish for them to do so as it would impact their bottom line negatively. In addition, these players would get bored and, perhaps, injure themselves. To me, someone that can play 4+ tables and get these types of reads is an "expert" but I am sure others have differing opinions.

In addition, I think the ability to recognize value and push slight edges (if you play enough hands) is part of what makes one an "expert". I do not claim to have this ability as many players' notes on me probably say something like "solid preflop, weak tight post flop, only reraises with the goods".
Old 02-22-2005, 07:28 PM

All the stuff they said...that and having a Logitech MX1000 lazer mouse in your possesion.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All the stuff they said...that and having a Logitech MX1000 lazer mouse in your possesion.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the internet pro, it is all about the setup. Equip yourself with 2 monitors, poker tracker, gametime plus, a cordless laser mouse, and a reliable internet connection. Always have rakeback or a bonus going. Be organized. Keep spreadsheets of accounts, Pins, etc...

All of those things squeeze extra profit out of existing skills.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:25 PM

Spelling.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:21 PM

what he said too.

As far as spelling, any skills whatsoever in abbrviation, help greatly while multi-tabling...its a hard thing to do and not sound like you're from out of some new jersey ghetto at the same time.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:41 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

drugs
Old 02-23-2005, 12:04 AM

hey Bob just been thru 2/3 weeks where my main game stats have gone from 3.50 bb/100 to 2.50 bb/100 on a 80K hand sample-ouch.Not very fun.What Bob said money management and discipline.

You don't have to be a great player what you do have to do is be disciplined.You have to be disciplined in so many ways.If you want to play long term that means not emoting when you are losing and playing higher than you should.It means you need to learn how to lose gracefully.It means you have enough confidence in your ability to beat the game that you stay within yourself.This confidence must be based on keeping records of all your play.It means you must play even when you dont feel like it.It means having the discipline to take time off to maitain your health- body and mind so when you do play you are focused.It means NOT gambling.It means you devote your time to the methodology that makes the most money but will not burn you out.You need to have a little fun right?
Some pros are in and out of money.Thats no way to live.I'd rather make $50K-$100K every year than be busted every other year even if I make significantly more money in my good years .My approach to grinding has been shaped by my prior experience as a pro B&M playing.I've learned from my mistakes which have include being busted more than once and playing in games/limits I should not have been playing.

Making money is the objective and making it consistently for me is a top priority.That means playing in games where you always have the best of it.I dont need to play high to make $50K/$75K/$100K a year.Everyone including some of the "best" posters who hypothesize on winrates arent even professional but they can sure write well-hah.To play as a pro is a grind and is mentally exhausting.IF you dont love the game/love to play you have an expiration sticker on your head as a pro.You need to play when you dont feel like playing.Luckily that's rare.When I have a horrible day I cant wait to play the next day.Often these days are my best days.You gotta have heart baby-hah.

Being a pro also means that you are aware that game conditions are constantly evolving and you better be ready to adapt if a game you are playing becomes unprofitable.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:04 AM

A social life.