Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Will Stud ever fully recover from the HE craze?

i just got into 7stud high about 3 weeks ago, i'm lovin it
Old 10-31-2005, 05:59 PM

Stud is a much better game than draw (only 2 betting rounds, no information on cards) or 5-stud (too much information , too easy to be dominated without overcards).

But I agree, the complexity of 7-stud, the fact it's not as good a n/l or tourney game and isn't as fast doom it to a lingering death.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stud is a much better game than draw (only 2 betting rounds, no information on cards) or 5-stud (too much information , too easy to be dominated without overcards).

[/ QUOTE ]

Every poker game has its good and bad sides. I like both no/pot limit 5 card draw and limit 5 card stud, both of witch I would say is alot more fun to play shorthanded. None of those games are dead, alteast not online. I wouldn't say any game is "better" than the other.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:30 PM

I think the only down side to stud is the fact that there are so many betting rounds.. Its expensive to see a hand through to the end. However, you just can't beat the action. That's what keeps fish like me around.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:16 PM

I love stud, but hold em is here to stay. Omaha is too slow and complicated for the average player.

And hold em has a distict advantage over stud. You can be watching the football game, trying to look down the waitresses blouse, or just daydreaming, and when it's your turn, you can just look at your cards and act. In stud if you do this, suddenly you're asking, "What did you fold?" Stud is too much work for the average player. Who wants to memorize all those upcards? Plus, when you are out and waiting, the...hands...take...forever...zzzzzzzzzzz

The rapidly changing boards and possible hands of numerous players slows down the game. Now I find it extremely interesting, but the average player doesn't.

In hold em, it's two cards, and if you muck, get another hand right away. The shared board is easier to read as opposed to multiple boards, and the action is generally quicker.

Plus, if you go on tilt, and are trying to get back some heavy losses, it's easier to find a hand in Hold em (any two, right?). A guy can find a reason to play 93s if he tries hard enough, but (93)2 two suited can't even be played but by the drunkest of drunk.

And for bad players, they can take a shot at the flop with a wide variety of cards, and if they muck, nobody knows they had the 6 4 of clubs. "I had A Q," they say, "but when the K hit I mucked it."

Plus, online hold em is far, far better suited for multi-tabling. It sucks to be getting back to your stud game and find (7A)7 and miss the two aces folded already.

All that being said, I still prefer stud----but I suggest you learn hold em as well.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:30 PM

The funny thing about the "so many betting rounds" idea is that I find stud games to be smaller than comparably sized hold em games. At least one street is often checked through and later street raise is more likely to be a strong hand. Plus, it's easy not to get involved with marginal hands on 3rd street, where in certain hold em games you will violate this bc you know certain hands will generate large pots if you hit. Hold em is much more splashy and volatile and alot of money goes in on two cards when the complexion of the flop will change hand values so much (and since most people miss it's often correct to fire with nothing, another variance increasing factor). When I go to play 80-160 hold em, I'm distinctly aware of the possibility of losing 50 large bets; while this is possible at 75-150 stud, it is MUCH less likely in my experience with how this game typically plays.

Jeff
Old 10-31-2005, 10:48 PM

I agree, but for the first time player, it seems like its really expensive to make it to the river..
Old 11-01-2005, 01:31 AM

Draw is definitely making a comeback if you count 2-7.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Draw is definitely making a comeback if you count 2-7.

[/ QUOTE ]
One of my favorite games. Do you know of any online sites besides UB that spread it?
Old 11-01-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

a game that only thrives in one locale can not expect to ever catch on strong enough. in 20 years most stud tourn tables will have 17 people siting at it - 1 dealer, 8 players and a nursing aide for each of the players, whereas as the holdem tables will have 21 people at it - 1 dealer, 10 chldren in their carriages and their 10 mothers breast feeding them. in other words, the game of holdem is full of youth and the stud game is rapidly graying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno about that. There was a 25% increase in players over last years WPT Stud8 tourney at Foxwoods on Sunday.