Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Re: 10/20 6max: a poorly played hand - QJo

[ QUOTE ]
tilt?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I actually thought each move was the best given the options at the time, though my judgement was off and the whole thing snowballed. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Surf
Old 11-17-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

you dont have to win every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to make a plaque with this engraved on it and put it on top of my monitor. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Surf

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is Button with Q, J.
2 folds, CO raises, Hero 3-bets, 2 folds, CO calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't pick a fight when all you've got is a wooden sword. I'm pretty sure the river follow-through doesn't show value. When he calls the turn raise on this nearly drawless board I think it's time to hang your head in shame and give it up [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

do you really think that he may be raising light enough to three bet him otb with QJo. I don't see the reason for raising the turn, and I'd have to be dead certain that he would fold ace high or any mid PP for me to even considering betting the river, and I think that once he calls you on the turn, he's commited to a showdown
Old 11-17-2005, 07:17 PM

the raising preflop is certainly questionable but i didnt comment on it cause it could be right. either way im glad to see that youre opening up your 3betting standards even if its by slightly too much. i think 3betting QJo in that spot can sometimes be a good play and im trying to impliment such moves in my game, but QJo is stretching it by a little bit too much i think. if im going to 3bet this its because hes going to fold Ax on the flop or turn unimproved almost always.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:20 PM

Seems like a good board for a bluff, given that he has to put you on a made hand, but what do you put him on? His line looks like at least a pair to me, either a set, a K with kicker issues, or maybe a pocket pair like 99/88/66. I mean, why would a TAG donk AJ here?

In any case, I doubt he folds without a specific image/read on you. I'd probably just fold to the donk bet.

I think 3-betting these hands preflop gets you into spots like this that can be uncomfortable. I guess you're hoping he's raising light, then misses the flop, and then you take it down giving him 8:1? Do you fire again when he calls flop and checks turn? River?
Old 11-17-2005, 07:21 PM

Fold turn, hoss.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:22 PM

preflop is standard IMO.

flop, fine.

turn, wow. he checkcalled a net on Kxx nothing. if he is making a play w/ complete air, he chose a good time. you really need to fold there... that raise is indefensible. its nasty.

river, you are betting hoping he has exactly A8 and will fold it. ugh. this is prob the worst decision in the hand.
check and lose.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if im going to 3bet this its because hes going to fold Ax on the flop or turn unimproved almost always.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my expectation.

My flop bet was standard.

The turn is interesting. I think he plays a K this way almost never, so while there is a small chance he is trying to bet-3bet a set(which doesn't matter too much b/c i can just fold), I have to ask myself if he is going to fold a better hand here at all. I thought(in the 5 seconds I devoted to it [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ) he would release small PPs, A-hi, and possibly a raggy pair that he was trying to prevent my potential A-hi from taking a free card with.

When he donks he's obviously expecting me to be unpaired most times, so I thought a raise was in order. Unfortunately it probably doesn't work 2 in 5 times (I didn't realize it had to work so often...wow that's really bad.)

Thanks for the input.

Surf
Old 11-17-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold turn, hoss.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about with AQo?

Surf