Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2002, 10:02 AM

Default Re: RESULTS AND I MESSED UP MY ORIGINAL POST!!!!!

Their pounding is a bit wild, but with the bad player all in they didn't lose that much extra action. Each had a premium four flush when they raised and reraised -- and the cards for you and the other guy were dead, making a full house unlikely. In this situation you have the "best" hand in name only. In fact you have the third best hand. It's very very rare in my limited experience that anyone will fold a flush under flush, so each probably felt he had value against the other draw with his three big cards. If there's only one raiser on a draw, then your aces have some value. But with two, I think you have to fold your dead hand. With aces live here, I would call.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:49 AM

CJC,

I can't see a hand you should have had here on 4th except four fives. In fact, you did have pocket aces, but this was just as likely as four fives, given the two aces exposed. Since you wouldn't have called with anything else, you should consider your opponents slightly crazy to be pounding their draws like that. They were obviously giving no consideration to what you had.

I would have folded aces on 3rd because of the multiway nature of the pot, but I don't have any analysis to add whatsoever and think it matters little what I would have done.

Mike
Old 12-16-2002, 11:17 AM

Default Re: A Mess right from the start...... 4th street decision...

I definitely would have re-raised on third street. There is no point in slow-playing with others showing strength, and with your aces being dead, you should do all you can to narrow the field, plus showing extra strength never hurts. Then when you hit your doorcard they are going to have to think long and hard about staying in.

Old 12-16-2002, 11:51 PM

Hey MRB..

In this situation you have the "best" hand in name only. In fact you have the third best hand. It's very very rare in my limited experience that anyone will fold a flush under flush

Hence the reason for my fold. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

CJ
Old 12-17-2002, 12:38 AM

Default Re: A Mess right from the start...... 4th street decision...

I usually bring it in for the minimum and hope to re-raise with very strong hands. Usually, I'll only bring it in for a full bet if I think I have a good chance to steal the antes, and that's what I want to do. Here, with a dead pair of Aces, I think that you have a better-than-average chance of stealing, given that the two Aces can't have Aces, and I think that an ante-steal would be a good result in this case. Obviously, that wasn't going to happen, but I think that bringing it in for a full bet was the way to go.

Since you will theoretically lose money on all future bets, and since there are likely to be a lot more bets, you have a fold on fourth street. I probably would have gone into pay station mode myself. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

If you can't find a game with more than one fish in it, move. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]