Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2002, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Am I Going To Hell?? :-O

Buzzz.........this is a fold. Not only is it wrong to assume the button probably doesn't have an ace, but its not certain that these low limit turkeys would bet the ace. Also, your kicker blows, and even if it is good you will have to survive not to get suckedout on. In a low limit game, this is a way to lose a lot of chips. At the high limits, players outplay themselves in these scenarios quite often. The c/r would be routine in a shorthanded pot, however the pot is not shorthanded.

I know this is a free forum, but the advice given these days isn't worth a nickel.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:05 AM

'The c/r would be routine in a shorthanded pot, however the pot is not shorthanded'

i agree with you almost totally for this reason. (ie someone checked looking to checkraise, not cause theyre weak.)
Old 12-19-2002, 12:38 PM

Default I\'ll get us a group rate.............................

After seeing thet Q go back on top the deck, I'd raise the flop hoping for the button to 3 bet. Then when it hit I'd bet the turn and go for check-raise on river.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:01 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

im not so quick to fold to a button bet here. in fact i may go for the c/r here. and that's without seeing the card. but of course, when you can see the next card, you can maybe call and play the way you did.

however, i also am a player who likes to play a player policed game. so if anyone was in the hand who saw the card, id likely call for a new card. this also gives more credibility when a real dispute comes along. nothing makes a good statement for credibility than calling a penalty on yourself. but that's also selective. id be less likely to call it if i was in a new room. but i think the regulars should speak up and protect their own games' integrity...

b
Old 12-19-2002, 03:04 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

even if you knew the button had a lone A, it's a good move to c/r here. you still could very well have 5 clean outs, and this would maximize your chances at winning.

b
Old 12-19-2002, 03:13 PM

He altered his play based on the turn card that he saw prematurely. He turned a fold into a call. I think that he should have turned a fold into a raise. I see no good reason for a "slowplay" (premature that it is) here. If I had flopped trip Q's... I would raise here more often than smooth call. Maybe he didn't want to raise because then it would look suspicious when his card comes down on the turn. Maybe he should have said that he saw the card and not sacrificed his ethics for a 7 SB pot. But either way, I think he should raise on the flop... not call.

Obviously if you don't know a Q is coming... in a seven-handed unraised pot, this is a clear fold.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:59 PM

You probably are going to hell, yes.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:45 PM

Call me a goodie two shoes, but I agree. Some things are more important than making a few extra bucks.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:06 PM

OK, I Could have 5 clean outs, and if I do I'm looking at a little worse than 9:1 odds of catching. There are 7 or 8 bets in the pot (I wish I could remember exactly how many people were in). I'm 95% sure I'm up against top pair or better. (Like I said above, there were only 2 players at the table who would play contrary to this and they weren't in the hand).

This being said, maybe I'm giving up a tiny shade of EV here, but I'm inclined to save my chips for a better opportunity here. I really think you all would agree if you were at my table for a couple hours that night. This was a sort of odd game.

- JAA
Old 12-19-2002, 05:10 PM

OK that makes more sense major...

Unfortunately I was too busy thinking of what I should do about thinking I saw the turn card to be able to optimally play the flop.

Thanks for your comments - JAA