Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 03:51 AM

Default Re: 2 questions: Faith worth it? Great Christian poker player?

Faith is necessary to live, but not for life. Everyone needs to believe in something.

1. I think anyone not agnostic is making faith-based decisions, which is fine. But to indicate that atheism or Christian belief is the only rational conclusion strikes me as silly. To be self-honest, you can't really force yourself to believe something. I think believing in something other than for the reason that it makes sense is dishonest, misguided and unlikely to be successful. It's a contrived effort to fill a void or to achieve some gain.

2. I think the general rule is that people that have faith are happier and healthier. Happier, healthier people are generally more successful (esp. long term) at poker.

One problem with this question is that there are so many different Christian faiths. Some still consider gambling, even poker, straight up evil.

If I were you and seriously considering becoming Christian, I would talk with a priest or other religious figure to get his or her advice. Be honest and see what he has to say.
These types of life decisions are not trivial and you should make sure you know what you're getting into and that you're doing them for the right reasons.

I'm not trying to be overly critical here, just honest. I don't think just trying to be nice would serve as the best advice here.