Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Re: A4s -- I need a better line . . .

If your plan is to fold to any bet on the turn UI I would of just folded on the flop.

I think the best line is to just call it all the way down, I never enjoy this line in any hand but when you are stuck with a semi ok hand in the BB, check call all the way is not terrible.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:17 AM

like everyone has jumbled parts of the two hands together. wtf
Old 12-05-2005, 01:24 AM

This is one of those hands that I'll play a variety of different ways in the same session, including the precise line you took. Although I think that check/call, check/call, bet/fold has definite merits as a "default" play, as does check/raising the flop & going from there.

Hell, I'll lead the flop from time to time as well. I guess what I'm saying is that hands like this are perfect for mixing up your game & keeping your opponents guessing, so I don't think I'd want to have a "standard" play here.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:57 AM

I like checkraising the flop in the A4 hand a lot.

MP3 could be donking with sosooo may hands that you beat + there are a lot of hands you would love to fold here.

C/R and watch.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is one of those hands that I'll play a variety of different ways in the same session, including the precise line you took.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? My turn fold seemed bad to me in retrospect. MP1 is still to act behind me, but he's probably got TT or something and shouldn't be a big concern, unless he's slowplaying.

Also, since MP3 got checked to on the flop, I'm thinking he'd probably be about as likely to bet a queen as he would be to bet an ace. The preflop cold-call plus the flop bet probably make an ace a little more likely, but then mathematically a queen is more likely (since only two aces are available).

At the time, I thought he might slow down with just a queen (or a draw) after getting called twice on the flop. But, as the BB who just called on the flop in a not-small pot, I don't have to have anything very strong, and MP1 hasn't shown any postflop strength at all.

[ QUOTE ]
Although I think that check/call, check/call, bet/fold has definite merits as a "default" play, as does check/raising the flop & going from there.

Hell, I'll lead the flop from time to time as well. I guess what I'm saying is that hands like this are perfect for mixing up your game & keeping your opponents guessing, so I don't think I'd want to have a "standard" play here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree that this is a hand where there probably really isn't a standard play.

I think what I'd usually (but not always) do is checkraise MP3's "Button" bet, but I felt kind of self-conscious about it, since I had just checkraised the flop in the previous hand. But that might just make my opponents more inclined to call me down loosely this time around, and I shouldn't really mind if they want to do that. (If they decide to play back at me light instead, though, that would suck.)

Anyway, after I didn't checkraise the flop, I started to feel lost. I'm not really used to having a pair of aces with no kicker in a multiway pot anymore, since not all that many 5/10 hands are multiway and I've mostly abandoned playing Axs in non-steal situations.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You might even fold MP1 off a hand like AKo in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

What site are you playing on, and what's your screen name?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:11 PM

i'll call this turn a lot. sometimes it's not an ace betting. a lot of times it's an ace without a k or q kicker and you have 6 outs to a split pot and 3 to a win.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:04 PM

I lead the flop and see what happens from there. Hopefully MP1 raises w/ a worse hand. If it gets raised and reraised behind you, then fold. If it gets raised and then cold called behind you, then probably take one off and fold the turn.

One you check the flop, and MP2 bets, I think a raise is best.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like checkraising the flop in the A4 hand a lot.

MP3 could be donking with sosooo may hands that you beat + there are a lot of hands you would love to fold here.

C/R and watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this best. Make the PF raiser call 2-cold and see what he does.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is one of those hands that I'll play a variety of different ways in the same session, including the precise line you took. Although I think that check/call, check/call, bet/fold has definite merits as a "default" play, as does check/raising the flop & going from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you, Harv. The "default line" is the standard WA/WB line, and might be best here, though I don't really think we can make a decision on whether we are, in fact, way ahead or behind until after the betting on the flop, and really not even then.

For that reason, I think I'd bet out on the flop and test the waters. To some degree, this is "red-boarding" as I now know MP-1 checks after hero's check on the flop. But I'd rather try to find out who, if anybody has a big hand sooner rather than later.

So I'd lead the flop, call one and fold for two as Snowball said.

If my flop bet was just called I'd lead again on the turn after a blank falls, and fold to a raise.

Just my $.02 worth...
bc