Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 06:26 AM

Default Re: What to do...

"As the button kept calling down, I was thinking he had Kx and was just calling to the showdown incase I had QQ"

There is zero reason for you to be thinking this anymore.
He has called you twice now. If he had a K don't you think he would have raised by now?

I would put him on QJ perhaps.

ItalianFX - you clearly have some weak-tight post-flop play at times and badly suffer from monsters under the bed syndrome where you are always afraid that your opponents have big hands.

Have you read Small Stakes Hold-em by Ed Miller? Just curious
Old 12-15-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Have you read Small Stakes Hold-em by Ed Miller? Just curious

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have read it. I am currently reading it for the 2nd time. Why?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:38 PM

Yep, I'd bet here on every round until the villain shows any kind of strength.

Now to the defense of ItalianFX somewhat - I've been playing 1/2 all day every day for the last couple of weeks and you do occasionally come across really passive players who will call down with a K here. They too are scared of even bigger monsters!
Old 12-16-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"As the button kept calling down, I was thinking he had Kx and was just calling to the showdown incase I had QQ"

There is zero reason for you to be thinking this anymore.
He has called you twice now. If he had a K don't you think he would have raised by now?

I would put him on QJ perhaps.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't put button on a single hand by the river. I think we should be pointing out that villain could have a large range of hands here, many of which call and lose. Also, it is unlikely that villain's monster hands would be played like this, so we can discount the chance that he holds them.

We're ahead of the following hands that may call the river:
Qx, JJ-77, 44-22, some flush draw hands that caught a 5 or six may call as well as ace-high sometimes.
QJ-Q8, JJ-77, 44-22 comprise 32+30+18=80 hands total. I'd just fudge it and add maybe 2 or 3 hands from the other batch that call the river.

Hands that beat us and probably raise:
AA, KK, QQ, AK, KQ, 66, 55, KJ-K8 comprise 3+1+1+6+4+3+3+32=53 hands.
Also, consider that by the time we get to the river, most of these hands we lose to would have already popped us.

So about 80 times we earn 1 BB. 80 x 1BB = +80BB
53 times we lose two given we call the river. 53 x -2BB = -106BB
If he slowplays like this less than 75% of the time, a river bet is profitable. I'd be surprised if anyone came close to that number.

Also, even if a river bet is not profitable, our best play is to bet so we can get calls out of weaker hands. We are out of position with a hand that should not check-fold on the river and our opponent's better hands are NOT checking it through. If we check call, most of those weak hands are going to check it through, and when we have to call a bet it is usually when beaten.