Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 07:00 PM

Default Re: ($60) Call this ITM resteal?

Almost impossible to calculate a range here, but Ill give it a try ...

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 47.3113 % 43.55% 03.76% { A8o }
Hand 2: 52.6887 % 48.93% 03.76% { 22+, A3s+, K8s+, Q9s+, JTs, A5o+, K9o+, Q9o+, JTo }

I think his hand range is rather large here. Your raise seems like an obvious steal attempt ... and he could be pushing with a much wider margin then I gave him credit for in the calculations. (probably weaker K's) Given the dead money in the pot, I think this is a slight call. I also like the call here because it enhances your image going into heads up. (if you win the hand) The opp. knows that you will be calling down all-ins with a good sized range, so he shouldnt be quite as aggressive with you.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Almost impossible to calculate a range here, but Ill give it a try ...

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 47.3113 % 43.55% 03.76% { A8o }
Hand 2: 52.6887 % 48.93% 03.76% { 22+, A3s+, K8s+, Q9s+, JTs, A5o+, K9o+, Q9o+, JTo }

I think his hand range is rather large here. Your raise seems like an obvious steal attempt ... and he could be pushing with a much wider margin then I gave him credit for in the calculations. (probably weaker K's) Given the dead money in the pot, I think this is a slight call. I also like the call here because it enhances your image going into heads up. (if you win the hand) The opp. knows that you will be calling down all-ins with a good sized range, so he shouldnt be quite as aggressive with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. Realize I'm cEV 0 as a 42% dog.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:37 PM

If he's reasonably agressive I think it's a call. His range here should be something like A2s+, A8o+, K8s+, KTo+, Q9s+, QTo+, J9s+, JTo, 86s+, 76s+, 44+....against which you're 46%.

p.s. congrats on moving up! good luck at the new level.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:37 PM

Are we getting into he knows I know he knows territory here?

Clearly Durron thinks calling here is at least reasonable. If villain knows that hero will call a resteal with A8o, villain will obviously not push with nearly as wide a range as is being postulated here. Given the relative stack sizes/blinds, I've likely got A8o crushed here if I'm in villain's shoes and pushing, FWIW.

I can understand not wanting to let this one go because you don't want to set a precedent that you'll fold to a re-steal easily, but it seems like hero has a lot more to lose here than villain does.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I can understand not wanting to let this one go because you don't want to set a precedent that you'll fold to a re-steal easily, but it seems like hero has a lot more to lose here than villain does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, excuse me? I'm first in chips, and still in fine shape to win even if I call and lose. Villian is second in chips and is risking busting in third here.

He definitely has a lot more to lose than me.

Also, I had no idea whether Villian thought I would call this push with A8o.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Best read I can give is that we both view the other as strong players.

[/ QUOTE ]
In other words: he doesn't have a good read on you? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2005, 08:13 PM

This is for my own knowledge, so I'm serious here...

Is A8 considered a "steal" 3-handed? I would call it raising for value. Or is any hand you raise with after it's gotten past the CO considered a steal regardless of the hand value?
Old 11-27-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's reasonably agressive I think it's a call. His range here should be something like A2s+, A8o+, K8s+, KTo+, Q9s+, QTo+, J9s+, JTo, 86s+, 76s+, 44+....against which you're 46%.

p.s. congrats on moving up! good luck at the new level.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a massive range. Villain would have to be one of the most aggressive players at that level to resteal with that for all his chips. I think his range is usually quite small here. Something like AT+, 77+, KQ. Again I haven't plugged in numbers, but that's a fold. He's repushing for a lot more chips and I don't think at this blind level that's done with a big range at all.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian is second in chips and is risking busting in third here.

He definitely has a lot more to lose than me.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly why his range will be smaller than you think. i pretty much agree with the range and what bigt said above.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:37 PM

OK, it's not that he has less to lose, it's that he has more to gain. Your shot at 1st isn't affected much by folding here, and neither is his (if you fold). Or, put another way, I don't know that your 600 chips are worth it (to him) for a re-steal with nothing. OTOH, doubling through you is his best route to 1st, especially if he thinks you might call a "re-steal" loosely.

Let's look at it this way. If you push here with "maniac" range he should only be calling top 5% (and only top 10% if you'd push any two). My assumption is that even if he gives himself some credit for FE with a push over your raise he's not going to give himself enough credit to increase that range by a factor of 5, which is roughly what I calculated he'd have to be on for this to be a break-even call for you.

Maybe I'm too weak-tight, but as I've already said, at these blinds and stacks I've probably got you crushed when I push here. I'm pushing big/medium aces because I don't want you moving me off my hand when I miss and I'm pushing a lot of pairs (though probably not all of them). I'm only pushing K or Q high hands (or worse) if I have some reason to think you're going to be a pushover or that you're a maniac. My calling range might be wider if I think I'll have a chance to play post-flop. I'm mucking crappy aces and taking my chances stealing from the shorty (and maybe you), at least until you make it clear that I'm not going to have that opportunity.