Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: .
Thomastem 118 63.44%
LALDAAS 68 36.56%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Discussion over an inflection point play

[ QUOTE ]
The whole "I am in it to win it" concept is taken too far sometimes and results in people advocating a push with hands that do not justify it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I don't raise with 15xBB or more is not because "I want to eek into the money", it's that I'm too afraid of a resteal right now. I'm certainly not pushing a 20xBB stack here!

This is a really tough spot for a 10-15xBB stack. I probably raise to 3xBB actually and call a push.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:51 PM

I really don't see how this involves inflection points at all, maybe an argument can be made that the if the SB calls and wins he'll have a dominant stack (along with the BB) and can use those chips to garner future chips. But that doesn't really hurt you here anyways, I'd gladly take a 60+% chance at doubling up. You have 6 BBs, and its folded to you on the button, I dont think there's much of a question on what to do with QJo here, let alone AJo. Granted ITM pays more than normal, but so does 1st (it'd be less than 6k in a standard party tournament). This isn't a particularly flat payout structure, its just more shallow.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:53 PM

broken hand. hurts to type. i think standard raise calling a push is best line here. you arent deep enough to get away from this hand, and i think aggressive big stacks will push quite a few hands you dominate
Old 06-20-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
broken hand. hurts to type. i think standard raise calling a push is best line here. you arent deep enough to get away from this hand, and i think aggressive big stacks will push quite a few hands you dominate

[/ QUOTE ]
Standard raise is not a good move unless you want an increased possibility of the blinds re-raising. A standard raise is about 1/2 the stack. We would certainly have to call if one of the blinds pushed. They are going to call our push regardless if they have a big hand. Might as well push ourselves and try and pick up the blinds.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Argh, I thought I put that in...Very, very sorry. Blinds were 750/1,500.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very easy push. You increase your stack by >20% if successful, and you have enough chips to sting (i.e. you have folding equity). Also, you don't have a a bad hand if sb or bb decides to play with an underpair or something like KQ. You could do an in depth EV analysis here, but I would be very surprises if it wasn't > +T1200 (my guess would be about +T1600, but I don't have time to do the math right now), and that is a huge for your stack size at this point in the tournament.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Standard raise is not a good move unless you want an increased possibility of the blinds re-raising. A standard raise is about 1/2 the stack. We would certainly have to call if one of the blinds pushed. They are going to call our push regardless if they have a big hand. Might as well push ourselves and try and pick up the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the point if we have 15 BB? Why not get a good chance to double up and move way up in money by provoking a bluff resteal?
Old 06-20-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if you posted this without reading my later reply with the blinds...standard raise is 1/2 your stack. Do you still want to do this?
Old 06-20-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the point if we have 15 BB? Why not get a good chance to double up and move way up in money by provoking a bluff resteal?

[/ QUOTE ]
We don't have 15XBB in this example.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if you posted this without reading my later reply with the blinds...standard raise is 1/2 your stack. Do you still want to do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

my bad. push. Over 10x i raise 2.5-3xBB and call a push
Old 06-20-2005, 04:27 PM

Thanks, couldn't answer until I saw blind info.

Instapush.