Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Were you the fat kid
Yes 20 10.26%
No 175 89.74%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2005, 11:42 PM

Default Re: BUBBLE!! uber small stack in bb A9 utg..

before anyone else posts about miniraising, im gonna go ahead and say that its god awful. holla
Old 08-16-2005, 11:44 PM

heres how I see it...If you call or minraise, any "good" big stack is going to push. Thats making a huge assumption that he is good though, which is generally wrong. So...if you push, you either win the hand and are cool or you lose the hand and have 900 left taking the bb, assuming no one calls, then you get to see who loses first between you and the other short stack. Also, one of the 2 bigger guys might wake up with a hand and give you the shaft. If you fold, the small stack will hopefully go away and even if he does double up, you still can outlast him...I would hope folding would be obvious.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:50 PM

I voted call. Here's why: Sure, a perceptive big stack will push with any 2, but I have no reason to think this big stack is that kind of player. Maybe at the 215's, but not necessarily here. Your A9s figures to be the best hand out among the 4, so if you fold this you greatly increase the short stack's chances of doubling up. i.e. in a 4 handed situation, you can't assume the short stack will be out this hand or the next hand. If he does double up, your BB is next, and being ITM is no longer guaranteed.

If my assumption is wrong and you're likely to get pushed off of a limp, then throw what I said out the window. If that's the case, I *think* I'd push since I really don't want to see shorty going up against 83o. etc., when the SB puts him in. It's close though... and I'm definitely not sure.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:55 PM

I bet almost everyone will say fold, but I like pushing, why? cause it's what all the cool kids do.

Remember Apathy's Sng theorum, coming in third is like kissing your sister.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
before anyone else posts about miniraising, im gonna go ahead and say that its god awful. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

i sincerely disagree. i do not see a problem with this.

button (for the sake of arguement) pushes.
he pushes because a) he has a hand, or b) because you "can't call".
will BB call his last t90 getting 8.5:1?

if the answer is no, then you fold. he's AI next hand. even if in the remote chance it folds to you guys next hand and you double him up...you can still carry t575 having cleared the blinds.

if the answer is yes, then it's an easy call for you. if button pushed because of "a", BB stands a great chance of busting. if button pushed because of "b", you stand a great chance to nearly double-up in the side-pot. you are only not finishing ITM if BB beats both of you (yeah, that'd suck).

----- if you get no resistance from big stacks, you take a very favorable hand against BB's random holding.

granted, WITH a push from behind, AND a fold from BB - you take a 'fold into the money' posture which absolutely blows. but there would have to be an extraordinary set of circumstances for him not to bust in within 4-5 hands.

how is this so bad????

holla [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet almost everyone will say fold, but I like pushing, why? cause it's what all the cool kids do.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may just be my slective memory but....

I remember being in this exact same situation countless times and it seems like everytime I fold and leave the dirty work up to the SB it backfires. Either the SB folds or he has some crap hand and doubles the shortstack through. Invariably I end up busting fourth and go back to that hand and regret not playing it.

That said I still probably fold, but pushing doesn't seem that bad.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:09 AM

fold

if u call or push u may end of trippling up the short stack. with the amount of chips that u have u should be able to easily wait him out. once your in the money let the craziness begin.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:10 AM

...and another thing....

the 'i better fold here...big stack will take care of shortie' is usually a bad idea IMO. how much fun is it to have it fold around to SB, who does not have the hand to take out BB? then just for fun, it folds around next hand and he's pushing into YOUR BB!

not good.

#1 - big stack isn't always "tee-hee-hee, watch me push out that minraise punk". i don't know that 'keeping the bubble alive' is commonly practiced at this level. i believe all 3 parties have a shared interest in getting shortie out of there. you're offering to do it -- despite chip problems of your own.

#2 - hmmmmmmm, thought there was a #2.....it'll come to me

EDIT: oh yeah -- worst case: this hand is over with him holding t90 & you holding t875. being able to survive at least another lap around the track, are you REALLY any worse off before this hand? EDIT take2: ok, maybe not 'worst' case [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Ps. for those that vote "fold", do you push this if your SB?? if so, then 'doubling/tripling him up' cannot be a concern of yours.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:14 AM

Min raise would be ok in a different situation but you just don't have enough chips here to min raise to 400 and then fold to a big stack's push.

I don't like pushing here with the small stack so short.

Folding or calling would be my preferred plays here and calling would just be done to have a bigger chance to knock out the small stack if the big stack plays the hand in a way that lets you check it down.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who folded...you honestly like the odds of getting dealt anything better in the next two hands?

POOOOOOSH!

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, there is a short stack that is about to go Bye Bye next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

****, i misread this hand too.

I thought u were the shortstack.

LMAO, sorry...fold.