Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2004, 05:17 PM

Default Re: .5/1 vs. 1/2 vs. 1/2 6-max vs. 2/4 Why should I play each limit?

HEPFAP has a whole section on shorthanded games, but it may not apply to the party 1/2 6max since there is very little in the way of folding happening there. i think you just have to lose a couple hundred playing short to really get a feel for it.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:21 PM

I find that 1/2 full, except at night, is not worth the trouble. The average pot size of 1/2 is only about 20-40% higher than ..5/1 during the day. I've had more success at 2/4 than at 1/2. The pot size is relatively the same (ie as a multiple of BB) but the rake is less. Plus I find 1/2 is tough because you could have 2 complete fish, 3 rocks, 2 tags and 2 wa-lags all with you, so the play really varies. Whereas bluffing and blind defense are important concepts at 2-4; 1-2 it's a crap shoot. At least on party.

6 max is interesting because alot of people struggle with how much more aggression is appropriate with 4 less people. In my experience most err on the side of too much aggression which is very easy to exploit.

I don't know maybe 1/2 is my personal kryptonite, but unless its' later when the pots get bigger it's a tough game, and even when the pots are big, the variance in game makes it challenging.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:25 PM

tough, challenging, diverse opponents..

your reasons for not playing it during the day were my reasons for playing it during the day.

1/2 has some good lessons while its still cheap.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:21 PM

How much multitabling did you do at each of those levels?

Thanks for the great post btw.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:51 PM

Great post, Ajax. Hopefully you're asleep as I post this. I have learned a ton from these forums, and made my 300BB at PTY $0.5/$1 in around 9K hands -- started negative, but finished at a decent clip.

I moved up last weekend to $1/$2 full, and instead of finding it more difficult -- over 3K hands I'm steadily up 320BB (~10BB/100). I know this rate is unsustainable and means I've been quite lucky, so I plan to finish my ~10K hands this weekend and report back. I had planned on moving to $2/$4, but based on this discussion I will divert to the 6-max and try my fortunes there.

Most of the more maniacal players I've enjoyed the opportunity to play against (buddy list) seem to prefer 6-max, so I'll happily play them again. I know my shorthanded and heads-up skills are not good, and my post-flop aggression hovers around 1.75. Will shorthanded play help me get more aggressive?

I just wish there was definitive source for solid 6-max play. I do have HEPFAP, so I'll read that chapter and scan the shorthanded forum for tips. Anything else worth reading?

Also, when moving up a level, do most just go by bankroll, or do you prefer a certain number of hands at each level? In my situation, I've been fortunate enough to make my 300BB to move $2/4, it just seems like I didn't learn all that much at $1/2.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much multitabling did you do at each of those levels?

[/ QUOTE ]

i figure if I can 4 table a level comfortably, i'm ready to move up and 2 table for 2K-4K hands at the next level before adding more tables at that level. i rarely 1 table.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:24 AM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.

[ QUOTE ]
any recommended reading for 1/2 six max preparation? i've played about 3k hands and feel like im flailing about wildly.

[/ QUOTE ]
I understood the 6-max game better after reading TOP (Theory of Poker).
Specifically these chapters:
-Ch.18 Bluffing (optimal bluffing frequency)
-Ch.20 Inducing and Stopping Bluffs
-Ch.21 Heads-up on the End

I am still flailing away, although I think I have a better handle on my opponents now.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:25 AM

Nice post, I totally agree with you about moving up the limits and have found myself struggling with what to do next. I moved from the .5/1 after I won my 300 bb, then tried moving up to 2/4 after winning about 400bb in about 8k hands at 1/2 and had a big winning session at the 2/4 lvl, but then got hammered and lost about 100 bb so I moved back down to 1/2 recently and have been trying to recover some losses, but even there I'm catching cold cards and getting outdrawn, I dunno what to do to stop the losses....I'm looking at my game trying to plug the holes that do exist. I tried playing the .5/1 games, I know a sin...sry, and was up about 45 BB in about 2 hours, and was just going to cash out when I hit four sets in a row and lost to three gunshots on the river, and one guy hit his one outer on the river to make his 4 of a kind. I dunno...just not my month I guess. Any advice on which lvl to play at while I'm trying to get over the cold card problem, 1/2 or .5/1? Thx
Old 12-11-2004, 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Great post, Ajax.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you

[ QUOTE ]
I know my shorthanded and heads-up skills are not good, and my post-flop aggression hovers around 1.75. Will shorthanded play help me get more aggressive?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even in the midst of my drunken stupor I can tell you with great certainty that the answer to your question is yes, however, I can't remember what your question right now, so I'll just assume I'm right.

[ QUOTE ]
I just wish there was definitive source for solid 6-max play. I do have HEPFAP, so I'll read that chapter and scan the shorthanded forum for tips. Anything else worth reading?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing quite like experience.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, when moving up a level, do most just go by bankroll, or do you prefer a certain number of hands at each level? In my situation, I've been fortunate enough to make my 300BB to move $2/4, it just seems like I didn't learn all that much at $1/2.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I am comfortable with my winrate at the limit I'm at, I think it's time to move up to the next level. If I'm sure I'm beating a game, why not give the next level a shot and see if I can't make more money? That's been my philosophy...and so far it's worked.

Alex
Old 12-11-2004, 09:47 AM

I honestly don't think that your game needs much in terms of change except an increase in aggression. I mean, you're obviously going to be able to see a few more flops - but if you can keep your VPIP at 6-max under 25%, coupled with good post-flop play, you're going to make money.

Personally, I don't have any advice for reading material for 1/2 6-max, I just think it's an experience you need to have for yourself.

Alex