Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2004, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Ladies Limit Hold Em on ESPN

[ QUOTE ]

The more I see of Annie Duke the more I hate her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see the video stream previously posted here where Annie was being interviewed by a Brit journalist right after she busted out of the main event? She apparently pushed all-in on a bluff and was called by a marginally better hand, and she more than once whined something like: "it would have worked against a good player...but he wasn't a good player to call that bet..."

What a biitch!
Old 07-28-2004, 12:49 AM

I saw that interview. If it would have worked against a "good" player and not an amateur, then it is her fault for making that play on an amateur.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about the rest of you, but I would've much rather watched the Omaha Hi-Lo tourney instead of the bush (pun intended) league play of the "Ladies Tournament." If I want to see obnoxious Asian women being bitchy while playing poker, I'll just go to The Bike.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA, quote of the day!
Old 07-28-2004, 01:07 AM

Funniest part about this story is the fact that he is a pretty decent canadian pro. she talked like he was straight out of an "online poker is rigged" thread from RGP.

The way her and hellmuth go downt heir bulletted lists of what "deals" they have in the works just comes off as so tacky. When you compare her interviews and hellmuth's interviews with people like jen harman, cindy violette, phil gordon, daniel negreanu, howard lederer, etc. there is just so much difference between them. I guess its like comparing Barry Sanders to Deion Sanders and how they represented football.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:25 AM

I was more interested in the Omaha Hi/Lo, but I think ESPN got the next best thing to having Duke, Harmon, Ng, Cyclone, etc in the ladies tournament--they got Annie Duke winning her first bracelet at the same time the women's cat fight was going on.

I was amazed at the hands the ladies played with six or seven players still in there. And they would almost always call second/third pair to the river. Maybe that is the correct play at that level--I don't know. I'm not there yet.

Z
Old 07-28-2004, 09:04 AM

The play, as a whole, was horrendous.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i felt the same way. my mom thinks the real reason she didn't enter was the prize was so meager it wasn't worth it, but she really came across sounding like a bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

In her defense, she was winning a bracelet in the Omaha 8/b event during the Ladies Hold'em tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, and it's certainly her prerogative to play in whichever tournies she chooses. I just think that her explanation for not playing in the ladies tourney was delivered in a way that makes her seem insecure and patronizing. Most people that are truly successful in something and DO NOT feel insecure, don't need to constantly trumpet their resume to whomever will listen.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:15 AM

Why should Annie or any of the best women in the world play in a womens only tourney when they are clearly good enough to compete and win in a regular event.

I am not even clear why they need a womens only event. Can you imagine if they decided to have a mens only event!

Ken
Old 07-28-2004, 10:36 AM

If you replace hot with dirty and trashy, you have a very accurate description.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The play, as a whole, was horrendous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed 100%. Maybe my signal was bad, but I swear I saw one of the final two ladies playing a 72o, and calling all the way down to the river with "top pair". Then telling the other player that she got lucky to beat her!

And as much as it would have been cool to see the O8 H/L tourney, there's no way they could air that on TV and have Lon and Norman explain it coheriently.