Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Raising with a flush draw.

Yeah, Not capping the flop was the only mistake I could see when I was reviewing this hand.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop you're going to win this hand around 35% of the time, but you're only contributing 25% of all the bets going in. This = good. (It's called a pot equity edge or some such. I read that in a book once.)

You also might get a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cold_Cash, is it more good though to not cap the flop if it allows us to get more big bets on the turn?
Old 03-24-2005, 01:22 PM

It probably would be if you were 100% sure you could, but you can't ever be sure.

What happens though is that on the turn either it'll get checked to you, or someone will bet and both players will fold, etc.

Since you can't be guaranteed you'll be able to trap everyone on the turn, trap them on the flop. (Where you know with 100% certainty that the guys between you and the other aggressor are completely tied to the pot.)

I'd take the guarantee. (And also the chance at a free card. A cap is a powerful play, and unless someone really has a whopper of a hand the turn will get checked to you a lot.)
Old 03-24-2005, 01:39 PM

One thing I noticed is that you seem to think there are 3 callers into the turn. One of them dropped out (albeit he put a few bets in).
Old 03-24-2005, 01:43 PM

I'd raise preflop and play the rest of it the same. Flop cap is close, the more donkish SB is the more likely I am to make it.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:46 PM

Yeah, the SB folded on the flop after putting in two bets.

(Is that what you mean?)

That doesn't really change much though. Like I said, if you get two callers on the flop bets you'll be breaking even. We've got two callers and two small bets of dead money in there.

(And also at the time there would be no way to guess that the SB would pull a play like this. Usually if a guy puts in a bet, he'll call another (or two) to see the next card. The chances of him folding after putting in TWO bets is microscopic.)
Old 03-24-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the SB folded on the flop after putting in two bets.

(Is that what you mean?)

That doesn't really change much though. Like I said, if you get two callers on the flop bets you'll be breaking even. We've got two callers and two small bets of dead money in there.

(And also at the time there would be no way to guess that the SB would pull a play like this. Usually if a guy puts in a bet, he'll call another (or two) to see the next card. The chances of him folding after putting in TWO bets is microscopic.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure if you can count the As as partial outs a cap would be good (obviously it's great if the SB is a calling station). I think davelin's point was more that, since we're only breaking even on every bet that goes in on the flop 3-way, we might make more on bigger streets by sacrificing a bet here.

I think I would probably lean toward capping though, especially since the SB will probably call two cold on the flop.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:56 PM

Alright, Alright, I get it. I should have capped the flop. I even said that myself. You know it's easier to tell people how to do hands when the hand is finished and you don't have a timer working against you.

Plus 4 tabling is hard while making these decision.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, Alright, I get it. I should have capped the flop. I even said that myself. You know it's easier to tell people how to do hands when the hand is finished and you don't have a timer working against you.

Plus 4 tabling is hard while making these decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody is ridiculing you for it. It's a borderline mistake. Everyone is just discussing it.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:04 PM

When a flush draw comes along
You must cap it
When two more will call you down
You must cap it
You could also spike an ace
You must cap it

Now cap it
You've got odds
Take their money
Stupid sods