Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Big bluff?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

First of all, you don't have to raise all the way to 100. There's only one limper, raising to 60 or a little more would be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to do my best impression of how this actually plays out in a Party $20:

Limp, limp, limp, limp, raise t60, call, call, call, call, call, call, call, call, call, call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is building a pot wrong? I thought the early stages was about acquiring chips.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

First of all, you don't have to raise all the way to 100. There's only one limper, raising to 60 or a little more would be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to do my best impression of how this actually plays out in a Party $20:

Limp, limp, limp, limp, raise t60, call, call, call, call, call, call, call, call, call, call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.. My theory exactly.

Some people stick to a standard 3 BB raise preflop no matter what the blinds are.

In online play.. when the blinds are still in the 5-15, 10-20, 15-30 range, anything less than 5 BB is not enough IMO.. Online players are far more likely to call a 3 BB raise when it's only "45 chips more".
Old 06-29-2005, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is building a pot wrong? I thought the early stages was about acquiring chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, the early stages (first 3 rounds of blinds) are about identifying your opponents and putting them on a style,.. waiting for top 5 hands and playing them fast..

But that's just my style. I'm sure others have styles that work for them.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:13 AM

[/ QUOTE ]Some people stick to a standard 3 BB raise preflop no matter what the blinds are.

In online play.. when the blinds are still in the 5-15, 10-20, 15-30 range, anything less than 5 BB is not enough IMO.. Online players are far more likely to call a 3 BB raise when it's only "45 chips more".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but these same donkeys will also gladly call you down with middle pair after you've raised to 100 whiffed the flop, and make your continuation bet. I think after one limper, somewhere around 60-75 is reasonable. For the millionth time, I will say again: AK on level one is so overrated it's not even funny. Especially for people who can't get away from it or insist on C betting every time (not the case here, I'm just making a point).

The bottom line is on level 1, I like to manage the size of the pot until I have something that I can bet for value. That's why I'm not raising to 100. Another thing is that alot of players, if they see a raise that is way out of line, it just screams "AK" to them and they're even more likely to call you down with middle pair on a safe flop. Just what I've observed anyway...
Old 06-29-2005, 10:29 AM

After a while of thinking i called his all in, he showed me A6 and MHIG. I thought the chances i had him beat were good enough to call here since he had simply checked from the big blind.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Adanthar recently posted that you don't want just one caller with AK recently, and I'm now ready to guess as to why he said it:

When you have multiple callers, you will beat the crappier aces 3/4 of the time when they call and an ace hits. This helps to offset the possibility of someone hitting a set on you (or other huge hand), because you're going to lose alot (if not all) your chips when the flop comes A-8-5 and you're up against pocket 8s. So, the slight extra risk of losing to a worse ace is necessary and desired, in part because it helps make up for the times you hit TPTK and lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh boy. Not even close, sorry.

What I said was that you don't just want one caller *OOP* and that it's a reverse implied odds issue. The reason is actually pretty simple - HU, you must continuation bet on almost any flop, but you've missed 2/3 of them. When a fish calls you with 44 (or Ax for that matter) and decides to push you off a flop/call and push you off a turn, he is getting far greater implied odds than it seems PF *when he calls you in position*.

What's that have to do with this hand? When you raise AK and get called in 9 spots, two things happen: you are getting 10:1 on a 2:1 shot to pair and should be jumping for joy, and, when you have a 5 or 6 or 10 way pot and the flop is AQJ, you can easily fold to any resistance. As it stands, congratulations on going broke with your well concealed hand (well, you should've, but of course BB was a chimp. If somebody properly limped AJ behind you, you still go broke.)

Having a hidden 'monster' (such as it is) and then calling off all your chips in a multiway pot with the 27'th nuts because you don't know where you are, but you have TPTK, is how fish play hands.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:46 AM

Well, at least I tried. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Note that I wasn't saying to limp with AK though. Merely to not raise up to 100.

In a way, I think that a continuation bet is almost more effective (against fish) when the pot is 3 way as opposed to heads up, because anyone with less than top pair feels less secure calling you down. Moreover, if you have two opponents and your C bet gets called, you can be more secure in the notion that someobody actually has a hand and isn't just putting a play on you. This is probably just low level garbage thinking that doesn't apply to anyone who is actually using their brain correctly...
Old 06-29-2005, 11:50 AM

I don't like how you played this hand at all.

Limping preflop is fine, it's not a play I make often, but I do do it.

Raising the flop is horrible. AQ, AJ, KT, and QJ are all feasible limping hands for other players. You have a good hand, try to see a cheap showdown. Just call this and see what happens behind you.

Betting out on the turn is just as bad, opponent is letting you get to showdown for cheap, take it, and call his pot sized or half pot sized bet on the river. If he checks on the river make a half pot value bet, but do not make it on the turn.

You can't take a lot of action with this hand so don't prod it.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Adanthar recently posted that you don't want just one caller with AK recently, and I'm now ready to guess as to why he said it:

When you have multiple callers, you will beat the crappier aces 3/4 of the time when they call and an ace hits. This helps to offset the possibility of someone hitting a set on you (or other huge hand), because you're going to lose alot (if not all) your chips when the flop comes A-8-5 and you're up against pocket 8s. So, the slight extra risk of losing to a worse ace is necessary and desired, in part because it helps make up for the times you hit TPTK and lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh boy. Not even close, sorry.

What I said was that you don't just want one caller *OOP* and that it's a reverse implied odds issue. The reason is actually pretty simple - HU, you must continuation bet on almost any flop, but you've missed 2/3 of them. When a fish calls you with 44 (or Ax for that matter) and decides to push you off a flop/call and push you off a turn, he is getting far greater implied odds than it seems PF *when he calls you in position*.

What's that have to do with this hand? When you raise AK and get called in 9 spots, two things happen: you are getting 10:1 on a 2:1 shot to pair and should be jumping for joy, and, when you have a 5 or 6 or 10 way pot and the flop is AQJ, you can easily fold to any resistance. As it stands, congratulations on going broke with your well concealed hand (well, you should've, but of course BB was a chimp. If somebody properly limped AJ behind you, you still go broke.)

Having a hidden 'monster' (such as it is) and then calling off all your chips in a multiway pot with the 27'th nuts because you don't know where you are, but you have TPTK, is how fish play hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got hard reading this.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the lesson. I really don't know how i got into the habit of limping AK this early. A question though, is it ever correct to limp with AK in say level 3 if you have 650 or so chips with the intention of reraising ALL-IN or getting your money in on a TPTK flop?