Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Holy cow! (lc)

[ QUOTE ]
Don't fold Kings preflop. Please.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know... I've always followed this but I'm thinking this isn't good. Especially if you have a read on players. I've had several all-ins with Kings; one time I knew the guy was an idiot and doubled up... but I would say most of the other times, when I raise and someone reraises all in (or there's a third raise), I've reluctantly called knowing full well they had aces. Every time I've lost and I keep asking myself if I'm being stupid.

If its a bunch of lags who always do this or some short-stacked donk, then I agree with you. But if you're sitting at a table for awhile, you should be pretty certain with a lot of players that they must have aces.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:17 PM

I vowed to copy-paste this every time someone brings up folding kings PF, so here we go:

From Harrington on hold'em:

"A lot of players will tell you stories about the times they folded kings because they knew their opponent was raising with aces. Here's my story. About a year ago, a tight player in the big blind raised me. I actually thought he had aces. I was in early position with a pair of kings. I made a modest raise and he reraised me. I thought a long time and called. The flop came three small cards, and he bet a modest amount and I called. He actually had the aces.

I almost threw the hand away, but I couldn't do it. Just not savvy enough. Even bets and raises that seem to indicate great strength can have a variety of explanations, from moderately strong hands to outright bluffs. And here's a little secret from the world of top-class poker. Nobody else is that savvy either, no matter what they tell you.

About one time in 24, when you hold kings at a full table, someone at the table will be holding aces. If you try to figure out exactly when that occurs, you'll end up folding a lot of hands when you're actually facing queens, or ace-king, or something even weaker. So don't bother. Just play your kings like you have the best hand, and you'll do better in the long run.""
Old 06-17-2005, 02:24 PM

thank you, very well said [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and I agree 100%
I think that you might of folded because you couldn't afford the raise.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:38 PM

Dear friends.

It was NOT a reraise

It was a (substantial) rereraise.

Automatic fold unless you have a good read.

You can shove Harrington [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2005, 02:41 PM

Rock.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

'n' roll
Old 06-17-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dear friends.

It was NOT a reraise

It was a (substantial) rereraise.

Automatic fold unless you have a good read.

You can shove Harrington [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

5-handed at these stakes I disagree. With a read, its a fold, its by no means an easy fold without one.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:24 PM

You know he's right. You can't fold kings....
NF anyways.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I vowed to copy-paste this every time someone brings up folding kings PF, so here we go:

[/ QUOTE ]
Please don't do that.

You think this is settled. You agree with Harrington, so why not let people in on the Truth you have discovered?

One problem is that you are quoting Harrington out of context. He is talking about tournament play, where the stacks are very shallow. It is very rarely right to fold KK when the stacks are more shallow than, say, 30 BB, which is usually the case in a tournament.

It is very often correct to fold KK preflop when the stacks are 100 BB+. It is a huge leak not to be willing to fold KK preflop with much deeper stacks. You don't have to close to certain you are up against AA to fold. If someone is pushing with worse than KK, you will punish them enough when you have AA.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:15 AM

Wow. This is fun.

1) Yeah I have KK

2) Oh yeah a reraise. I'll take his stack...maybe

3) WTF!?! A Rereraise. I'm a dog. Are all four aces in? Let me get my ass outahere

4) Wow people allways complain about KK and AA in the same hand. Here's KK+KK+AA. Let me tell my 2+2 imaginary buddies that. Remember to write "lc" cause there's nothing to discuss, just fun

5) WFTWFT?!?!? They think I'm weak-tight??? (I am btw)

6) And more people ridiculing me???!?

7) Oh I see. The sane people were just sleeping. They are here now

Serioulsy, I only posted the hand because it was KK vs KK vs AA - I don't think I've seen that before. I didn't post to discuss or to brag. I guess that's why poker is fun. What I think is obvious others think is a brain fart

6:15AM - I'm off to bed