Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2004, 11:08 AM

Default Re: When They Open-Limp on the Button

Well Andy, I've never known you to do anything completely irrational (not at the poker table anyway), and it can't be the last hand of the session because you paid the blind (Andy likes to play the last hand prior to leaving), so you had to feel your hand was good.

I have mixed emotions here, of course I want you to have the best hand, if so I sure hope you don't play every hand by only looking at the first card [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Regards,
Jim
Old 04-21-2004, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I want you to have the best hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim, ya softie. Even when he's good the guy has 9 outs. I want him to get shown quads and pause to recheck his hole cards on the river.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:53 AM

Don't bet the turn. He'll only call the flop with either a better hand or a move in mind and if you think he's likely to make a move, why give him the upportunity.

Does check/calling the turn and check/folding the river sound totally unreasonable or would he really bluff the river after you bet the flop and call the turn?
Old 04-21-2004, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you think he's likely to make a move, why give him the upportunity

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone is likely to make a move, you should give them the opportunity. Besides, a 3-bet might knock him off KK. <cough>
Old 04-21-2004, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you think he's likely to make a move, why give him the upportunity

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone is likely to make a move, you should give them the opportunity. Besides, a 3-bet might knock him off KK. <cough>

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are more than 60% likely sure, but not if it just gives you a headache on the turn with a very weak hand. Besides a turn check could induce a bluff from the tricky bastard.

I hear cough syrup is good against upportunistic 3-bets [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2004, 11:20 PM

"It looks like a dab of peanut butter, on a piece of metal in the attic, to me."

What a great turn of phrase!

"I’m pretty sure you’ll have better results, over time, if you look at them both."

No one could ever accuse you of not being a gentleman. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] At least I saw 80% of my hand when I bet the flop. Two of the best players here sometimes bet the flop blind, when they've only seen 40%. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-21-2004, 11:26 PM

Default Re: seat selection

"with hatred and disgust in my voice and then raised without looking at my cards. so that's how i think button openlimpers should be treated: with complete contempt like the trash they are."

It's not good to hold it in, mike, let it out, tell us how you really feel. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was pretty sure I had the best hand on the flop and, when you check the results, you'll see that I did not waste $80 on the turn, but rather $160.

I was actually somewhat farther away from him than the post would suggest, as there were two walkers between him and me. I'm starting to have increased problems both seeing the board and my hole cards, so I tend to favor seats 1,5 and 9 no matter the way the others play.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:32 PM

Default Results

I just couldn't imagine this guy not raising with a pocket pair or any hand with an ace in it. No way, I thought, A-A-2 hit him at all. And I thought he thought no way it hit me either.

Nor did the turn card seem likely to have helped. I never considered folding, but did consider raising to keep him from drawing out. But there have been times recently where I was sure such-and-such player "couldn't" have such-and-such hand, so I opted to just call and resolved to call him down.

The river was a 6. I checked and he checked behind.

And My Hand Was Good.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Results

Does the Never Been Bluffed Club have a secret handshake?
Old 04-22-2004, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Results

To tell the truth I was pretty sure you won the hand because you posted it, but the point, I guess, is why does he make a move on the turn and not try to steal before the flop? I see this alot, too. Do they think it's better to try to bluff you out of a bigger pot? As far as I amconcerned, it's so much easier to steal my blinds than a big pot. Let's call these guys weak limpers/strong turners.