Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Open Limping? (I know preflop questions are gay)

I think it would be incorrect to never open limp. You are losing some value at extremely passive "family pot" tables with 1-2% pfr. Some tables (even some shorthanded ones) are ideal for this when you know you'll get callers to the river when you flop your set/nut flush draw/oesfd draw/etc.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah I've seen that chart before and it was actually that along with the 6 max creed that made me come to the decision to never open limp even at full ring (because of the general table texture)

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong to use the word "never" about such a general action in a poker game. You might open-limp on the button and be correct.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:49 PM

sorry I used the word "never" I know there are no absolutes in poker. thank you all for your responses though
Old 08-04-2005, 01:53 PM

Why would you want to take a TP-type hand up against a family pot?
Old 08-04-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you want to take a TP-type hand up against a family pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, I misread your post. I would never limp a TP hand!
Old 08-04-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've started to flip a coin (raise/fold) for the higher end of these EP limps (KJs, ATs, AJo, KQo),

[/ QUOTE ]

Your logic is basically sound, but all four of those hands are auto-raises for me in EP, especially when you know that you can push people off hands post-flop.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:15 PM

Nice Post!

I'm also a UB player. I recently made the move up from the nano-limits to .25/.50 and have a tough time adjusting to the play at these tables. I seem to have the most luck when I take a preflop approach similar to what you stated here.

Last night I watched a super maniac come on to the table and for about 30 hands he was crushing these players. PT shows that for those 30 hands he was 80%/64%/9. He showed up at another table I was playing later on in the evening and did the same thing. He easily went 10 consecutive hands without ever seeing a showdown. Each time he tends to show up for 30 or so hands and just plays like a maniac betting/raising everything until he meets some resistance. Once people start to catch on to what he's doing he leaves and presumably finds a fresh table. When your average player is the rock of gibraltar it kind of makes one wonder if this isn't a profitable approach [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 04:19 PM

play 6-max. that'll open up your raising standard for sure [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] especially at the UB weak-tight tables (i play there as well and know full well what you're experiencing).

some hands i limp from EP (1st 3 seats) only because Shillx posted somewhere around here he limps such a hand as AJo and i'm trying that line of thinking out. but anything after those seats, it's open raise only.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice Post!

I'm also a UB player. I recently made the move up from the nano-limits to .25/.50 and have a tough time adjusting to the play at these tables. I seem to have the most luck when I take a preflop approach similar to what you stated here.

Last night I watched a super maniac come on to the table and for about 30 hands he was crushing these players. PT shows that for those 30 hands he was 80%/64%/9. He showed up at another table I was playing later on in the evening and did the same thing. He easily went 10 consecutive hands without ever seeing a showdown. Each time he tends to show up for 30 or so hands and just plays like a maniac betting/raising everything until he meets some resistance. Once people start to catch on to what he's doing he leaves and presumably finds a fresh table. When your average player is the rock of gibraltar it kind of makes one wonder if this isn't a profitable approach [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude I totally missed you when I stopped by both times last night for about 30 hands
J/K
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] look me up yo
Old 08-04-2005, 04:34 PM

Preflop questions are fine in any forum, as long as they are good. And yours is fine.

Some notes for UB tables: Don't play hands like KJo and ATo in EP. Don't even bother with suited connectors or mid-low pairs. Steal with a large majority of your holdings.

KJs, AJo, KQo, and ATs are also not worth EP limp/raise IMO. People on UB are weak tight, and will generally only call with a dominating hand, and it will cost you a ton of money in the long run.

My advice: Raise any strong hand (AQ+, 99+) first in, every time. Play all these hands very aggressively, since you will usually be HU and you can win UI most of the time.

Good luck. UB is tough, and the only site that I was an overall loser on (2/4 full, 2000 hands)