Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 03:58 AM

Default Re: I think I\'m just gonna have a regular job next summer

Dear (CENSORED),

You have been awarded a bonus amount of 50.00 dollars and the money has been added into your account. You can use this bonus amount to play at Party Poker. However, if you wish to cashout the 50.00 dollars, you will need to 300 before 29-MAY-2005 EST.

I guess it hasn't been but about 4 months. 10K/4 months, not bad for starting with a 50 dollar reload enticer.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:39 AM

If you move3d up after 500 hands of 1/2 winning 17bb/100 wouldnt that leave with you with 220 dollars not 500?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:07 AM

It doesn't say he jumped after 500 hands, it says over 1 stretch he averaged 17 bb/100 hands. I've done it as well, maybe even higher at 6 max (then got creamed for 300 hands).
Old 08-04-2005, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But right now my roll would be so low, that the EV that would come from making that wouldn't match other things in life that is more EV, so to speak.

[/ QUOTE ]
For one thing, you'll have a [censored] load of free time at school, so I don't think it will be a problem to play an hour here and an hour there.

In addition, I think you're underestimating the EV of playing. The other poster's story may be BS, but the basic gist is a very good point: you should be able to move up eventually, maybe sooner, maybe later. It sounds like you're thinking that the PV of playing .5/1 isn't worth it, but the EV is much, much higher because you could reasonably expect to be at 5/10 by next June.

If I can work a job for 60 hours a week, maintain a social life, and stay in good health, all while playing poker, you can easily go to college and do the same.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:51 AM

Clayton,

I'm too lazy to look though your posts to confirm, and I'm too inconsiderate to devote your level of talent to the forefront property area of my memory, but the backyard area of my memory is telling me that I've read enough to know you don't suck at poker. If this is true, there should be plenty of money out there for you for staking purposes.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think I posted this some time back, but it is relevant. I hadn't played at party poker for like 6+ months and they sent me an e-mail saying they put 50 bucks in my account, and I could withdraw it after I mad X amount of player points. That 50 bucks started me playing at 1/2 tables. Having been playing 5/10 & 10/20 on other sites, I dominated these games(I'm sure I had a good streak too, I made like 17bb/100 over 500 hands). As soon as I hit 500 bucks I jumped into 3/6 games(2/4 didn't have 6-handed). As soon as I hit 1 grand I jumped right into the 5/10 and w/o a single deposit to Party Poker in almost a year I've turned that 50 bucks into about 10 grand.

The point of the story is not bragging.

[/ QUOTE ]

It obviously is, because its obviously fake. I find it funny that people seem to get off on posting fake stories of how great they are. Hope you enjoyed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I turned $100 into $20,000 in a year, having never played Texas Holdem before that. It's not unreasonable at all.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I posted this some time back, but it is relevant. I hadn't played at party poker for like 6+ months and they sent me an e-mail saying they put 50 bucks in my account, and I could withdraw it after I mad X amount of player points. That 50 bucks started me playing at 1/2 tables. Having been playing 5/10 & 10/20 on other sites, I dominated these games(I'm sure I had a good streak too, I made like 17bb/100 over 500 hands). As soon as I hit 500 bucks I jumped into 3/6 games(2/4 didn't have 6-handed). As soon as I hit 1 grand I jumped right into the 5/10 and w/o a single deposit to Party Poker in almost a year I've turned that 50 bucks into about 10 grand.

The point of the story is not bragging. 300 bucks, if you are a competent & skilled player, is plenty to play 1/2. 500-1000 is a good BR for 2/4 & 3/6. At the 2500+ level I am quite comfortable playing 5/10. How long would it take to make 300 bucks into 2500? If you are on a streak.. maybe a week? If you have to work a bit at it.. maybe 3 or 4 weeks. Point is.. playing 5/10 you can make 500/week with ease if you are a solid player. To hell with a worthless part-time job that pays 8/hr or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say that playing severley under bankrolled and expecting to be a luckbox is a good plan for your summer.

Playing poker is good advice. But the above certainly is not the way to go about it.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I showed your post to two other posters and within 30 seconds they both gave me the same reason as to why your post was obviously fake. Next time be more careful that you fact check your stories.

[/ QUOTE ]

it might be fake, but it's certainly not unreasonable. try playing with HUDs.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing poker is good advice. But the above certainly is not the way to go about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it is. If you have experience, not taking risks when dealing with bankroll levels so small you could pawn a few CD's to replenish it, is just silly. Hell, as we've seen from his post. Even Party Poker will get you started again if you bust out.

His story, fake or not (who cares?), is good advice.

Nigel
Old 08-04-2005, 01:27 PM

Am I underestimating the amount of free time I'm gonna have in college?