Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Value bet this river?

just one thing. I know you are really committed after you bet and he c/r, but if he "only does it with a better hand" then why do you have to call. If you bet like 12 and he put you in, cant you save the last 18? I could be wrong, but it seems like a fruitless call. I think I would bet 12 and fold to all in, but maybe there's a reason I'm not the one with their name in green [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2005, 10:27 PM

He either has a boat / a ten or he has a small pair. Check.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:38 PM

nh, stack sizes dictate alot here
Old 12-11-2005, 10:45 PM

Why not re-raise the turn? If you're just going to call the turn bet, then I think a check on the river makes sense.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:57 PM

Jesus, bet this frickin turn. In a raised pot, he never checks a T or boat to you here. He could easily have a small pp, put you on whiffed AK or club draw, but was too much of a wuss to cr and put his stack in on the flop with his read.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont see what betting does here. What will he call you with that you have beat? Only thing I can think of is a small-mid pocket pair. None of the draws got there either. If he's an awful player he might look you up with an A4 or A3.

Not to mention any bet commits you to calling a check-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

you could just quote me next time [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy value bet, a mid PP or something like JJ or QQ will look you up around 100% of the time here. {/quote]

I discount these hands being possibilities. How often do you see them limped UTG and checked when unders flop?

[ QUOTE ]

I bet around 1/3 of the pot on the river, enough that he has to call and hates it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Enough to reopen the betting but fold him anyway when he has trash? I've gotten burned on these in the past when villain C/red, it's not worth it IMO. The times he's willing to call with a very small pair have to be significantly more than the times he is planning a checkraise or calls down with a better hand (though unlikely) for that to be profitable.

The value added just isn't that much, if you ever consider folding to a push I REALLY hate it. That's why I'd need enough to be able to fold to a CR if I bet Half pot. There at least you add significantly more value with your bet that you're risking giving up a showdown with.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:52 AM

Raise the turn. Check the river.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:04 AM

I'd much rather raise the turn than bet the river. Betting the scare card on the turn usually means they didn't hit it, so the main possibilities are a pocket pair, or a flush draw. His bet is pretty weak though, and it looks more like an attempt to find out if his 99 is good than a serious attempt to move you off a hand. But I have no idea how players bet their hands at these stakes, so I might be way off.

Raising the turn pretty much commits you though, so you have to balance the extra EV of driving out a flush draw versus the lost EV of paying off with the worst hand. (Of course, if a worse hand will pay off to you then that should be factored in as well. Again, that's something I can't comment on at these stakes.)
Old 12-12-2005, 06:25 AM

UTG play is much more indicative of an small-medium pair than a 10 in my opinion. When villain leads turn at these stakes I tend to put them on a weaker hand, I would expect some sort of c/minraise if villain had a real hand. I dont mind calling the turn, but if villain checks the river we have to value bet.

As for my 1/3 pot value bet, I am calling a c/r all in obviously. However, for villain to take this line with a hand better than mine is bizarre, and I expect a huge percentage of to get paid off by a worse pocket pair or something like 8A.