Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: LiveAtBike Final Hand

With the stacks this short, both leading and checkraising get all the money in if someone else has a good hand. If everyone has air, you win something off a checkraise (the continuation bet) that you don't win off a lead.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:01 PM

One other thing, If I'm wrong about villian's overpair it seems to be HUGE risk of letting the flop get checked through. There are a billion scare cards that can hit...any spade, A, K, Q, 7, 9.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If everyone has air, you win something off a checkraise (the continuation bet) that you don't win off a lead.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 opponents so someone is likely to hit this flop hard (TP, any draw, pair+draw, overpair, etc). I don't see AK/AQ, 99 making a CB on this board with stacks so short and 3 opponents. I'm going against the group here so I may be wrong. Just my thoughts.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:59 PM

Why c/r??

Draw heavy flop, isnt the consensus normally to lead?
We risk giving free cards to a str8 or flush, or the flop getting checked through. Someone enlighten me why the c/r is the better play here. Wont villain just fold an overpair if we c/r, where as if we lead, we might take his stack?
Old 09-28-2005, 03:03 PM

I fire $100, hoping to get a caller in the middle and have PFR raise w/ his big pair.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fire $100, hoping to get a caller in the middle and have PFR raise w/ his big pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-28-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wont villain just fold an overpair if we c/r

[/ QUOTE ]
No.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why c/r??

Draw heavy flop, isnt the consensus normally to lead?
We risk giving free cards to a str8 or flush, or the flop getting checked through. Someone enlighten me why the c/r is the better play here. Wont villain just fold an overpair if we c/r, where as if we lead, we might take his stack?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not as expert as Diablo, Bruiser and others but usually you want to lead with a slight overbet on draw heavy boards into a field when the preflop raiser isn't acting last. With pre flop raiser acting last a checkraise probably gets the money (with these stack sizes).

I do think the button often checks AQ and AK here against three opponents, a big downside of going for the checkraise. But the aggro early limper will often lead with draws, so sometimes my checkraise will trap two players. But here I'm giving back a lot of equity to a real draw. Also note the only player capable of folding a draw is probably the button.

~ Rick
Old 09-28-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I put my opponent on an overpair, why am I checkraising?

[/ QUOTE ]

An overpair was a likely hand (which is why I don't push pre flop), but he also can have AK or AQ among some other hands.

[ QUOTE ]
Leading for pot on the flop and having Villian raise so I can push seems like the best play to me. Any draw will be given an incorrect price to call as well. It depends on how much hero has in front but if he has >$500 I think this is how we best get our money in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Button and early limper had me well covered as noted in lead post. I only had about $450 left and the pot was $140.

If I check (and limpers check) button usually bets about pot (let's say $150) on overpairs and some draws. That means if I checkraise all-in he will be faced with a $750 pot and having to call an additional $300 or so. He will have a hard time getting away from an overpair and he will call with the draw too. He's getting the right odds on the draw only because he put money in on installments.

If I lead bet the pot he can get away from straight and flush draws since he knows he has to hit on the turn because I'm probably firing all-in ($300 into a $450 pot). OTOH he might think I'm leading with a draw, but it's not likely when I have three opponents (something I need to work on).

Of course the other two players complicate things. By checking I might get one of them to lead. By betting one might call. By checkraising I might force them to call a huge overbet to draw.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you checkraising to isolate villian so the players in between can't call with any draw? Am I way off here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, checkraising may get the money or have a higher expectaion but I'm still not sure. Diablo and Bruiser like leading 2/3 of the pot, their advice can't be disregarded.

Note the aggro early limper will probably call with a draw regardless of price. Later in the evening he checkraised the flop $300 on a draw and I came back over the top about $800. He called, mande his draw on the turn but the board paired on the river (I had a set [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

~ Rick
Old 09-28-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still at the point where I try to keep my play very simple. I tend to bet about the pot on draw heavy boards (whether or not I bet the draw) and tend to bet about 60% on drawless boards. I need to think at a higher level.

~ Rick