Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Rake increase... my thoughts

[ QUOTE ]
Complaints could at least make them reconsider doing it again anytime soon _if there's enough of them_

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. They may also fail to understand the effect this could have on their games. The increased rake will cause losing players to lose their money faster. There will also be less winning players which means less players moving up in limits which means less players at the higher limits which means less rake. Mason talks briefly about this in PE II.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Complaints could at least make them reconsider doing it again anytime soon _if there's enough of them_

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. They may also fail to understand the effect this could have on their games. The increased rake will cause losing players to lose their money faster. There will also be less winning players which means less players moving up in limits which means less players at the higher limits which means less rake. Mason talks briefly about this in PE II.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I think everything written about game preservation and fishes not busting too fast is basically worthless when predicting behavior online. It's not like the increased rake will cause the fish at a live 20/40 to bust so fast that the game no longer gets spread. (The main drawback of high rake)

It's a whole new ballgame and PP gets to choose the groud rules.

Krishan
Old 09-02-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no longer any room for hope. If we wish to be free--if we mean to preserve inviolate those inestimable privileges for which we have been so long contending--if we mean not basely to abandon the noble struggle in which we have been so long engaged, and which we have pledged ourselves never to abandon until the glorious object of our contest shall be obtained--we must fight! I repeat it, sir, we must fight! An appeal to arms and to the God of hosts is all that is left us! They tell us, sir, that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength but irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot? Sir, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature hath placed in our power. The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-02-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When did it change ?

[/ QUOTE ]
And also how is the rake taken now?

I see the BB/100 rake paid thread, but has they lowered the potsize for rakecapping, or what?
Old 09-02-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is no longer any room for hope. If we wish to be free--if we mean to preserve inviolate those inestimable privileges for which we have been so long contending--if we mean not basely to abandon the noble struggle in which we have been so long engaged, and which we have pledged ourselves never to abandon until the glorious object of our contest shall be obtained--we must fight! I repeat it, sir, we must fight! An appeal to arms and to the God of hosts is all that is left us! They tell us, sir, that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength but irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot? Sir, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature hath placed in our power. The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Patrick Henry. Nice.

What are your thoughts?
Old 09-02-2005, 02:51 PM

No offense, but I think many of you greatly underestimate the amount of thought Party puts into decisions like this. It's not some old man scratching his ass, looking at rake charts and saying "aww hell.. if we jack 6-max up a buck, we'll make millions more a day!" They're a business. A public business, if I'm not mistaken, with shareholders they have to answer to. They wouldn't have made this choice if they thought it'd break the 6-max games 6 months or a year from now. They put thought into this.. they crunched the numbers, they think this is a sound business decision.

Time might prove them wrong, since mistakes are made. If that's the case, they'd probably reduce the rake to improve profits and maintain the game again. If that doesn't happen within a few years, they were right that the rake increase has done little to bust up the game.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, these guys just don't care.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really not that simple. Arbitrarily assigning them motives and convictions (or lack thereof) because it makes you feel better about what's happening doesn't help. They may have, and likely did, put an incredible amount of thought into this. Maybe they didn't. But completely dismissing their abilitiy to care or think is stupid.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:56 PM

Oy. I'm playing on UB right now to do some bonusing (might back out early, like I did before...seems I never learn), so I'm probably paying as much rake as if I had stayed on the Party network.

but I'm more scared of the Pokerroom increase followed so soon by the Party increase than I am of either in isolation, that's a really distubing trend when basically everyone thought that competition would lead to lower rakes. maybe it will in the long run, but this seems to be a short term setback to that vision.

I don't know what my plans are as far as my progression, it was 5/10 short -> 10/20 short -> 10/20 full to get my feet wet in full -> 15/30 full. obviously there's a lot of short in that plan, and I might have to change some things. I would be very interested to see a breakdown by site of BB/100 in rake for different limits, I've seen that a little but nothing really comprehensive. I imagine I'll still play 5/10 6max at party, because I have no spine, until I move up to 10/20, where from what I've heard the impact isn't as bad. but I might have to audible to another site, problem is with rakeback I might still make more at Empire. Either way this is certainly [censored].
Old 09-02-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

but I'm more scared of the Pokerroom increase followed so soon by the Party increase than I am of either in isolation, that's a really distubing trend when basically everyone thought that competition would lead to lower rakes. maybe it will in the long run, but this seems to be a short term setback to that vision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pokerroom increased their rake immediately before Party increased theirs? Ai-ya.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:01 PM

Default my thoughts

strive to move up in limits faster to reduce the punishing rake.