Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Reagan
Excellent 10 25.00%
Good 8 20.00%
Fair 7 17.50%
Poor 14 35.00%
Abstain 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Throw away \'the book\'?

I'm seeing just over 70% of flops

I'm not talking about playing TAGs but about how best to play LAG party monkeys- although i don't think it works badly against TAGs. I wasn't really slagging off TAG but just saying it is maybe not the most profitable way to play loose 6 seaters.

okay i'm no gus hansen but I am confident i can outplay the majority of players at this limit. whenever i talk about this people think i'm inexperianced which is why i want to get to the bottom of they're problem.

If it costs me 1-4 dollars to see a flop in a pot thats likely to end up 10 times that then its worth a look with most anything.

I know that TAG can be imaginative, I guess i feel that this way requires more concentration, guts and artfulness.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm seeing just over 70% of flops

I'm not talking about playing TAGs but about how best to play LAG party monkeys- although i don't think it works badly against TAGs. I wasn't really slagging off TAG but just saying it is maybe not the most profitable way to play loose 6 seaters.

okay i'm no gus hansen but I am confident i can outplay the majority of players at this limit. whenever i talk about this people think i'm inexperianced which is why i want to get to the bottom of they're problem.

If it costs me 1-4 dollars to see a flop in a pot thats likely to end up 10 times that then its worth a look with most anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 70% is pushing it a little bit. If you are in that many pots you must be calling raises with crap out of position. This can't be great in the long run. I think if you cut it down a bit to say 40-50 you would will have a better long term win rate.

[ QUOTE ]
I know that TAG can be imaginative, I guess i feel that this way requires more concentration, guts and artfulness.

[/ QUOTE ]

I readily agree, but I think you might be taking it a tiny bit to far.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:03 PM

Rococo, I didn't mean to imply that any of the concepts were original. My argument is that this style is better than TAG on the tables i specified. obviously position and stack size is a big considerations, but generally speaking most pots are multiway and most stacks are 50-200BB. What is really at the heart of it is that i am getting great implied odds on the pre-flop bet because of the likelyhood of the pot becoming disproportionatly(spelling?) big.

"Why not just play these hands in position against bad players with deep stacks"

Most players in these games are bad but why not play them against good players as well? i think they are profitable enough to play OOP.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:07 PM

jhall, you could be right about cutting down the hands played a wee bit, i guess i'm pushing the theory to see if it stands up. Even so I think 70% of flops doesn't cost me much when i can pick and choose which i play.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:30 PM

Didn't mean to sound harsh. The fact that you can beat bad players playing a particular style doesn't prove much, and it doesn't mean that your strategy is optimal. That being said, like you, I am a proponent of playing low cards with jackpot potential in certain situations. FWIW, I think that playing low cards is more important against good players than bad ones because they are more likely to be paying attention and trying to put you on a range of hands. The problem with playing them out of position is that bottom two pair and top pair terrible kicker are vulnerable to aggression from strong players acting behind you. Moreover, you can't count on getting paid in those situations where you flop a straight, etc.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a TAG who makes some HUGE moves at rare times Im gonna have to respectfully disagree on this but I can see your point.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:24 PM

When you start showing a hand or two the good players will adjust their range of hands for you pretty quickly.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:40 AM

devil, you should join dr pub and me sometime later this summer in a 50%+ vpip challenge (which I guess we'll post when we actually do it)

seems like you have experience playing K3o, 6Ts, and A2o. we need people like you.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:13 AM

Ya, who the [censored] is Justin Moore?
Old 04-20-2005, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya, who the [censored] is Justin Moore?

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, who the [censored] is he?

some NL200 pro, i guess [shrug]