Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: AQs first position, how would you play this one?

Not when villain is a thinking player. Think about it. When someone raises utg in the final table. What do you put him on? Can you really put him on 87s with that big of blinds. NO. You put the raiser on a tight range. i.e Ak-a10,pp. A thinking player will reraise this continuation bet with air a whole lot more than you think. Earlier on I would definitely advocate a continuation bet. But here one wrong move and your gone.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not when villain is a thinking player. Think about it. When someone raises utg in the final table. What do you put him on? Can you really put him on 87s with that big of blinds. NO. You put the raiser on a tight range. i.e Ak-a10,pp. A thinking player will reraise this continuation bet with air a whole lot more than you think. Earlier on I would definitely advocate a continuation bet. But here one wrong move and your gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I guess we need to know buy in and how far we are. But I don't see how you're not also arguing for cont. betting. If villian is a thinking player, and puts us on a tight range, about half of which is overpairs, isn't he likely to fold, unless he makes two pair or better, in which case he either calls or pushes back, and then we can safely fold? Betting gives us a lot of info for the turn/river too.

I agree 1 wrong move can cost a lot at this stage, but at the same time, that's a really big pot...

edit: I don't see why, if villian puts us on a range which is very likely an overpair, he would reraise with air, only for us likely to push back and he has to fold?
Old 09-17-2005, 12:51 PM

i agree with more preflop and less after flop.
your post flop bet dosent make sense at all.what could you possibly have that could justify that bet.a half decent player could pick up in that and push you like he did despite what he was holding.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i agree with more preflop and less after flop.
your post flop bet dosent make sense at all.what could you possibly have that could justify that bet.a half decent player could pick up in that and push you like he did despite what he was holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. A big pair would want not make this kind of bet. What is he afraid of a flush draw? Against one opponent?
Also note that hero lost almost 1/3 of his stack on an ace high hand. That is a leak in most of our games and I am trying to rectify it.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:11 PM

PF raise size was likely standard at this level, post flop I have two options here. The standard contiuation of about 2/3, or delayed continuation. Check behind him, if he checks to you again do the 2/3 bet. It may ,to him, look much stronger than the standard continuation bet, he may also be on the draw here and have missed, and not want to pay to see the river. You may also improve on the turn, and a potentially scary card to him may drop as well. You can also get away from the hand cheap if he bets out strong and you haven't improved.