Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Re: 30BB hand with 99 in BB

Raise PF to build the pot if you hit the 9.

IMO the river Jack helps you and you should fire away. Tough outcome. You win this hand WAY more than you would ever lose by the riv.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:42 AM

Raise 99 preflop from the BB.
Go bonkers on flop and turn and don't c/r it everytime.
I would lead the river myself and then call whatever comes back.

Also, read this
Old 04-23-2005, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: Is check-raising that bad here? I had to call the third time around as it was already capped.

[/ QUOTE ]

And how'd you know that? You couldn't, there wasn't even a preflop raiser. Don't let your monster get checked through.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:39 AM

Thank you for explaination and the link. I really wasn't trying to be Opposite Man. I guess playing these nanolimits I'm used to anybody with A4o betting out if his Ace hits, and that if nobody had an Ace and I bet out that I'd run the risk of the entire table folding. I was trying to catch one guy with Ax and take him for a ride. Only when all hell broke loose on the flop did I even consider that I might be behind to AA.

I've only taken up the game seriously this year, and I've only played about 6000 hands, so obviously my game needs a lot of work even though my results so far are good.

This is my other 99 blind hand from recent weeks, another hand with a turn/river pair, also 30BB. The difference is obviously the type of flop with many more draws. But in reviewing it now, I have the same lack of trust in my hand (or is it lack of confidence in my ability?) here.

BB is a solid multitabling player (28/5)
MP1 is a calling station.
Button is a rock (14/3)

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.05.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls.

Flop: (11 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

My line was to 3-bet unless Button calls two cold. I've been reading here to pay attention to when good players call 2+ bets cold. When he does, I decide to bet-raise the turn if anything other than a 7/J comes up, even if it's a third diamond. I immediately thought after the hand that this was a leak, and that I should have 3-bet here regardless, instead of worrying that button is going to outplay me.

Turn: (10.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, MP1 calls.

And Opposite Man makes his appearance. With two good players in the hand plus a calling station, I convince myself that I'm losing, drawing to a 10-outer here, so I check-call. This seems like the same leak from the original hand. Or is it reasonable to think that somebody's made the straight?

Button's raise didn't surprise me too much and there's no way I'm leaving, but I was surprised to see BB just call. I put BB on AT [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or some sort of connector including a 7, or maybe a pair of 7s. I don't think he has TT because otherwise he'd have 3-bet the flop.

What I didn't think through at all, and what really annoyed me after this hand, was this: I knew I was going to check and call two. But what if it went check-bet-raise-3bet? Or if BB had actually 3-bet and Button had capped?? I still don't think nearly fast enough during a hand to have a sufficient plan to respond to this type of aggression. That's why I'm still playing .05/.10, even though I have sufficient bankroll to play .25/.50 or even .50/1.

River: (18.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP1 calls, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

And now, as you all implored on the original hand, I just fire away, confident that I've blown past the made straight, and hoping that I've run into a T7/97/87 here to boot. Of course, 77 or 65 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] are going to blow here, but even I can't worry about that.

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 8s 8c (full house, eights full of sevens).
UTG doesn't show.
MP1 has Js 6s (straight, jack high).
Hero has 9c 9h (full house, nines full of sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins 30.50

Final Pot: 30.50 BB