Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: If America got to the World Cup final, how many Yanks would watch it?

[ QUOTE ]
How many watched the Womens World Cup back in 2000? It will be more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

US Women vs. China in the 99 final drew 11 million households (I believe the best rating in America for a soccer game).

July 4, 1994 when USA played Brazil in the round of 16 at the Rose Bowl, drew a 9.3 rating (apx 9 million households?). I remember this game had a bigger media buzz than the USA-Germany game for a number of reasons (patriotic, USA as underdog vs. a top team, in USA, etc.)

I think if the USA makes the final in Germany, 30-40 millions households is reasonable. They are currently ranked #7 in the world and playing well, so this is possible.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: If America got to the World Cup final, how many Yanks would watch it?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think there would be quite a bit of interest here if we made it to the WC. Interest in soccer would die down shortly after, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the fact that you don't even know that the US is *in* the WC, I'm a little dubious about your statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah, I meant to say the WC Final. I knew they were in it already (tied with Mexico atop the CONCACAF standings last I checked).
Old 10-15-2005, 02:00 PM

I would watch it even if it were on at 3am, and I am by no means a die hard soccer fan. I would guess that if the game were on during peak hours, it would be watched by about 15% of Americans. I think this is about 40% of those who watch the Supperbowl. This is certainly just a guess, and I hope it happens so that I could see the actuall numbers.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: If America got to the World Cup final, how many Yanks would watch

You would get the die hard soccer fans and the die hard America, [censored] YEAH!!! types. That's a pretty high percentage.

The Super Bowl is a bit different, more of a religious thing. People that don't particularly like football will watch the SB because of tradition and the spectacle. In the case of the WC final people that didn't like soccer would watch just because they would want the US to win. These same people would be pissed aftewerwards if we lost even if it was the first match they've seen.

As for me I would watch and depending on the opponent may or may not root for the US to win. I used to strongly support the US, going to matches with Sams Army and all that but now I'm not really feeling it.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was one of those 3.8 mil. US played a pretty good game, could have won it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I was at Columbus Crew stadium every night/morning that summer. They had a tent set up and showed all the games. There was probably 500 people there all night, every night. For the game vs Germany they showed it in the stadium on the Jumbotron. There was probably 2000 people there starting at 5am. It was pretty amazing.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:27 PM

Old 10-15-2005, 04:38 PM

Next year edition is on Germany so you can expect better ratings overall.
The final will be prolly around 3ET. Anyway the WC is the biggest sporting event on the world and its very unlikely for USA to reach the final Id expect like 50 millions depending on who they defeated to get there( ie: beating Sweden , Togo and Spain wont be as exciting as beating Czech.rep, Holland and Brazil)
Old 10-15-2005, 07:12 PM

30%.

Chicks watch Super Bowls because it's cool. Chicks don't watch World Cups.

Plus, 5% of the Super Bowl audience watches only for the commercials. I doubt the World Cup will have good commercials.

I couldn't care less when the US played in the WC last time.

After living in Europe for the last year I absolutely can't wait until the WC starts. Soccer rules! Er...football rules!! Go USA!!!
Old 10-15-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Say, as a % of those who watch the superbowl. Assume WC final is on @ peak hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. Does ESPN even cover sailing anymore?
Old 10-16-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish more Americans would embrace World Cup Soccer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I can never understand why soccer fans desire Americans embrace the sport.

Our population prefers "Amercian" football and most of us don't care if anyone else likes the sport.

Same thing with Canadians and hockey. They seem to be desperate for Americans to learn to love the game. I don't know why they care who likes the game and who does not.