Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 04:29 AM

Default Re: Tom McEvoy

[ QUOTE ]
DN said something about hal fowler (?) and brad daughtery being the worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

Him saying Daugherty was a joke. He knows Brad is an excellent player.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:12 PM

TJ also mentions Hal Fowler in his book.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:44 PM

I've played at the same table as Tom in three NL events with $1-2k buy-ins. Each time we were fairly far along into the event. Tom is a solid player. However, his play is much different than most of the other 'name' pros that I've played with. Most of the big name guys take a very aggressive stance and try to control the table with lots of raising and re-raising. They also see lots of flops with less than premium hands. Tom appears to be more of a solid type player. I assume he is able to change speeds and get much looser and more aggressive, but I didn't see much of that in the 5-6 hours that I've played with him.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Personally, I think Varkonyi gets a bad rap just because he's a total geek.

[/ QUOTE ]

that adds to what so many people think he's the worst, but don't forget how lucky he got at that final table. it was ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]
Varkonyi gets a bad rap because he got hit over the head with the deck. When someone gets an unusual amount of premium hands, every average joe thinks they could have done it too.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:41 PM

I don't think tom plays a lot of big buy-in events outside of the WSOP. It seems he plays a lot of stuff in the 200-2000 range.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:46 PM

Tom McEvoy is a damn good player....

Perhaps not one of the top players on circuit but a legit champ who has won several other bracelets. This thread is ridiculous he is 10X the player Varkonyi is.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:00 PM

When he got busted out of the '03 event, Doyle made a comment to ESPN to the effect that Varkoni was a donkey and he would never come close to winning a bracelet again.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:18 PM

i think it's interesting that this thread was started after McEvoy just won another large tournament. don't you think this is confirming his ability? it's the same as when moneymaker made it to the final three of a wpt event after his wsop victory...people still think he's a fish?! i just don't understand it. people need to acknowledge that even Varkoni has to be a decent player. i'm sure he's a strong candidate for wost player to ever win at the same time. but once someone wins a second and a third major field tournament...quit asking stupid questions about how bad they may be.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think it's interesting that this thread was started after McEvoy just won another large tournament. don't you think this is confirming his ability? it's the same as when moneymaker made it to the final three of a wpt event after his wsop victory...people still think he's a fish?! i just don't understand it. people need to acknowledge that even Varkoni has to be a decent player. i'm sure he's a strong candidate for wost player to ever win at the same time. but once someone wins a second and a third major field tournament...quit asking stupid questions about how bad they may be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just asking about McEvoy because everyone (pokerpages, cardplayer) said "wow, tom mcevoy won a tournament" like it was unbelievable so I was just wondering if he had won any other titles.

I don't think i've heard anyone call moneymaker a donkey after his wpt and his cashes in the recent wsop. he's proved himself so that's why no one talks about him anymore.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I saw it on RGP maybe a year ago? ...which is why I'm washing my eyes out with bleach and trying to forget it ever happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP