Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 07:15 PM

Default Re: VEGAS

[ QUOTE ]

What are the best places to play in Vegas at the limits I play where I can avoid the pros and "rocks" and hit the tourists for there money?

What advice would you give(any of you who live in Vegas) to someone moving there?

Thanx

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me a very odd choice to move there to play for a living when you don't even know the answers to these questions.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What are the best places to play in Vegas at the limits I play where I can avoid the pros and "rocks" and hit the tourists for there money?

What advice would you give(any of you who live in Vegas) to someone moving there?

Thanx

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me a very odd choice to move there to play for a living when you don't even know the answers to these questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed...read through many pages of the BandM forum. And use the search function...there are 8 posts a day about where the softest games are.

-JP
Old 04-29-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will taking my car,clothes,poker literature and my bankroll of about $20,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 20K is a bit on the small side. Do you have money for living expenses set aside as well?
Old 05-03-2005, 07:15 PM

Sorry Gentlemen, Ive been busy the last couple of days but thank you for the input. I am 35yrs old and I have played since childhood competitively for 22 of those years. I basically grew up at the racetrack or in the back of a poolroom. I am however, new to the internet. I got online to gather & use all the resources for my big move. These forums are great! I have not been to Vegas since 2000, so all of your tips plus the info on the websites are all going in my new "Vegas Journal". I will scout the games my self when I get there, I am a VERY conservative, "to the vest " with my moves. When I sit at a table I will know that the odds are stacked toward me. This doesnt always mean victory but it does mean optimal play on my behalf. I play limits from $1/3 to $15/30 and different games like stud and pot lim omaha high of which my peers in Ohio say no one is better. All of this being said, I realize that 20K could be risky, but I'll manage, been paying the lights for close to 4 years now w/ mainly poker, some Black Jack and rare big bet sport bets(had the Patriots -3 vs Steelers for $2,000 / only bet of the season).. Some day I'll write a real book on how to make it gambling for a living but for now I'll just try and get to Vegas in 1 peice..lol
-As far as the internet, I can trust it to deposit money and gaurantee they will send me a cash out? I can trust that there are not 2-3 players colluding lowering my odds?
NO, THERE ARE NO GAURANTEE'S !!! But at least in the B&M I can watch all factors with my own eyes... I cannot knock it if you swear by it, but I'll stick to what I know....
Keep the pearls coming.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry Gentlemen, Ive been busy the last couple of days but thank you for the input. I am 35yrs old and I have played since childhood competitively for 22 of those years. I basically grew up at the racetrack or in the back of a poolroom. I am however, new to the internet. I got online to gather & use all the resources for my big move. These forums are great! I have not been to Vegas since 2000, so all of your tips plus the info on the websites are all going in my new "Vegas Journal". I will scout the games my self when I get there, I am a VERY conservative, "to the vest " with my moves. When I sit at a table I will know that the odds are stacked toward me. This doesnt always mean victory but it does mean optimal play on my behalf. I play limits from $1/3 to $15/30 and different games like stud and pot lim omaha high of which my peers in Ohio say no one is better. All of this being said, I realize that 20K could be risky, but I'll manage, been paying the lights for close to 4 years now w/ mainly poker, some Black Jack and rare big bet sport bets(had the Patriots -3 vs Steelers for $2,000 / only bet of the season).. Some day I'll write a real book on how to make it gambling for a living but for now I'll just try and get to Vegas in 1 peice..lol
-As far as the internet, I can trust it to deposit money and gaurantee they will send me a cash out? I can trust that there are not 2-3 players colluding lowering my odds?
NO, THERE ARE NO GAURANTEE'S !!! But at least in the B&M I can watch all factors with my own eyes... I cannot knock it if you swear by it, but I'll stick to what I know....
Keep the pearls coming.

[/ QUOTE ]

I considered moving to Vegas as well just 2 months ago. It wasn't to play poker (although that is a bonus), but I was offered a job to relocate there.

I frequent Vegas more than 6 times per year but have never stopped to look around at housing and living expenses. After 3 interviews and a job offer worth 60k per year I turned it down after spending 2 weeks looking for homes there.

You are in for a shocker when it comes to the cost of living in Vegas. It makes areas of southern California look cheap. A 1700 sq foot home can run you almost 300K. To quote the realtor that helped us "Housing is completely out of control" in Vegas. I would give it some serious thought before moving there with only 20K.

If you do move I wish you the best of luck.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:14 PM

Good luck pal. With any luck you will be living the dream of many people on here, me included. Be sure to keep us updated.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are in for a shocker when it comes to the cost of living in Vegas. It makes areas of southern California look cheap. A 1700 sq foot home can run you almost 300K. To quote the realtor that helped us "Housing is completely out of control" in Vegas.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an incredible bargain. You can pick up a 1000 sq foot bungalow for around 600K in Los Angeles.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:45 PM

thanx Rhino,
but I will say, I know it will be hard. I have been playing moslty for my rent for 4 years but I know in order to step up to the next level it will take some time but I'll have a better chance where all the action is and a better game selection. It'll prolly take 2 or 3 years before I'm able to buy into a major event, I may try some sattelites but I'm real tight with my roll. I will lurk around the low limit rooms like one of those bottom dwelling scrap eating fish attempting to build a bigger bankroll playing low & midlimit holdem/stud etc trying not to make too much noise. I'm real discipline when it comes to poker and my money so I'll do well, but as far as some kind of dream playing next to Daniel Negreanu or Phil Helmuth for a bracelet we'll just leave it right there, just a dream....LOL