Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Re: suited connecters

Also keep in mind that they depreciate very quickly as they get lower. As far as I know, most strategic players will fold anything lower than 54s, unless they are trying to deceive people, or think they can outplay and read their opponents handily. I believe there is no shame in never playing suited connectors below 54 (or higher depending on the player) for value.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also keep in mind that they depreciate very quickly as they get lower. As far as I know, most strategic players will fold anything lower than 54s, unless they are trying to deceive people, or think they can outplay and read their opponents handily. I believe there is no shame in never playing suited connectors below 54 (or higher depending on the player) for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

JT-54 make the most (and the same number of) straights out of all the 0-gappers. AK and A2 make the least straights.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:59 AM

Yes, as well, JT always makes the nut straight.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:17 AM

you have to semi bluff alot with them
Old 10-10-2005, 06:29 AM

Suited connectors play best in loose/passive games, where you can get in & out cheap. An added bonus is when you have players in this type game, that go too far with their weak draws and a double bonus is if they are willing to call two bets on the flop.
It also helps if you have players in the hand that are oblivious on how to get a "read" on their opponent's holdings and are focused strickly on their own hand.
They are great in these kind of games in the BB, where 4 or more have limped. You get to see the flop, and then, based upon the action on the flop, decide if you want to continue.
Don't try deception preflop, by throwing in a raise, because these type players are oblivious to what you're doing. You want the boyz with so much alcohol in them, that they have forgotten what the preflop action was, once the flop hits.
65s works well on the button, when UTG has open/raised and got four callers before it's your turn to act, as you're usually not dominated.
Be ready to fold weak draws quickly and remember: It's a game of patience, i.e., you see a lot of flops before you strike gold.
Semi-bluffing can only be done in those games with intelligent players, when, for some reason, four limped and you're on the button, or, you're in the BB, you can throw in a raise. Then, however, you've turned a a speculative hand into a gambling hand, and, I'd never do it on-line, but then, that's me.
I always ask myself, when I get these: "Am I going to get plenty of action at good betting odds on the flop?"
Can you imagine how SWEET a flop of:
7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
would be to your 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
when two players have Ace little kicker. Wouldn't it be SWEET, if one of them flopped two pair [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
I've had a few pay off in loose 6/12 & 10/20 games....Friday or Saturday night, after the boyz are tired of dancing at the Mix at the Borgata and bring their girlz down to show them how good they are at poker.
I'm talking HUGE pots........the kind of score I've never seen in 20/40, where the "boyz" don't travel.
It's a big payday.........but it's kind of like an annual bonus from work that isn't guaranteed.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:36 AM

i think a lot of players who start playing these days have a similar problem because you can't draw the line of when they are profitable to play or not preflop. sigh, when i first started i recall cold calling raises UTG+2 with 78s... yikes [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2005, 03:57 PM

Look here for some pointers.