Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 03:11 AM

Default Re: What the f***

For all you know he could have made a 5 high straight now.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:16 AM

What buyin is this? I've seen plenty of moves like this at the 11s, and 9 times out of 10 it's someone trying to pick up the pot.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:36 AM

I think he has made 2 horrible blunders:

First, he called in early position with 34s.
Second, he made a ridiculous overbet.

Give him a chance to make the third blunder. (Showing his cards when everybody folds)

GG
Old 04-20-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To limp with aces or queens, hit a set on the flop, check it down to the river, then push on the river would be the absolute worst way to play a hand, ever. The guy is most likely trying to buy the pot, or just hit his two pair with Q5 or something. Whichever it is, this guy is a twonk, and you must call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its more likely hes got K-10, missed his check raise on the turn then thought, what the hell, no point picking up 80 extra chips with a value bet, maybe some idiot will call me if i push.

I hope you didn't call.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:08 AM

With no read on the villian I find calling here difficult. However, if he's done this overbet a couple times I'm definitely leaning towards calling...
Old 04-20-2005, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To limp with aces or queens, hit a set on the flop, check it down to the river, then push on the river would be the absolute worst way to play a hand, ever. The guy is most likely trying to buy the pot, or just hit his two pair with Q5 or something. Whichever it is, this guy is a twonk, and you must call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its more likely hes got K-10, missed his check raise on the turn then thought, what the hell, no point picking up 80 extra chips with a value bet, maybe some idiot will call me if i push.

I hope you didn't call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a bad theory. Interesting that both Broadway and a wheel are possibilities.

GG
Old 04-20-2005, 06:00 AM

depends on the buy in. anything up to a 55 i probably call just too see what the hell he had. curiousity.. i duno, i dont think im ahead here TOO often, but i also dont think im behind all that often either to make it a CLEAR fold. i call because im curiuos. if thats not good poker i dont know what is. holla
Old 04-20-2005, 06:52 AM

In general, its good to keep in mind what Brunson says about NL holdem: "Never go broke in an unraised pot". In that instance, he was talking about laying down pocket deuces on a J-4-2 flop. However, Brunson says in the beginning of the chapter that his advice applies when you are playing against top players.

If he's a good player, then this is a fold. If you have no read on the player and you are playing a low buy-in call.

The reason is that the pot is small. B/C the pot is small, villain's monster hand is worth a lot more than a value bet, which would be less than 60. a bet of 60 will get called almost 100 percent of the time, so its EV is ~60 (remember, if he's a good player, he's holding the nuts here)

Instead, he resolves to bet all in. Even is this gets called only 10 percent of the time, the bet is still +CEV.

If the pot were about 6 times what is is here for instance, then an all in bet would be more likely be be a bluff, because a value bet would then become more valuable.

Against a bad player though, you have to call. The bad player is trying to give you his chips. Why stop him?
Old 04-20-2005, 09:38 AM

Depending on the buy in....

I would say that your man has hit 2 pair although K10 is not out of the question, 34 seems very unlikely.

Stupid bet, but I'd take the chance and call.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:43 AM

If it's a low enough buy in, someone with KQ might be scared to bet into the pot on the flop or turn, but by the river assume no one has an ace and bet big to buy it. I know it's dumb, but we've all seen worse.