Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2005, 07:15 AM

Default Help: How to convince my gf NOT to play to get her money back

My gf has been playing for a living (sole income) for about 4 years.

However, she sometimes plays really long sessions when she is stuck. She recently dropped about 150BB at 15/30 in about ten days. She refuses to even consider dropping a limit or two, multitabling, to rebuild confidence and re-establish a winning mindset. She thinks "how can i get my money back if i drop to 5-10? Or 3-6? NO WAY!!"

To her credit, she always believes that she loses money because she is not playing as well as she could. She is always trying to improve her game and look critically at her own play.

Most of us have had situations where we were stuck and tried to get some or all of it back. And sometimes we do. I, for one, in B&M, almost always get it back, even if it takes me 18 or 20 hours to do it. But i only do it when, objectively, controlling for my sleepiness, the game is still good and i am still one of the better players in it.

The problem i am having is trying to explain to her that playing to get your money back is bad poker, bad psychology, and one step (or no steps) above fish behavior. It makes you press, gamble, chase, pay off, speculate far too much, and try to emulate the guy who just won the huge pot with 63s, because you need a huge pot.

She believes that if you dont try to get your money back, you dont care about money, you have no focus or drive, and you are destined to go broke with that attitude.

I try to tell her just to play every session, and every hand, with the objective of playing it the best you know how. I need some tips, anecdotes, strategies, visualizations, or anything i can try to get through to her.

Dont play to get your money back. Play because you believe you can win some money. Its about the Long Run.

Or, am i wrong?