Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Rate my Play

[ QUOTE ]

But if you're really confident in your read on the flop, why not push? I don't like raising almost half my stack.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-29-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
Result: Villain held AK and rivered an A. Ok, big deal. It happens. I should be glad he played it this way. (He played it horribly IMO, far worse than any of my plays I believe). I should be glad to get an all-in call on the river as a 6-to-1 favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a horribly played AK. Of course one of the strengths of AK is we can play it aggressivly and make small pairs fold. I guess he had you on overcards like a worse ace or KQ. Or he just thought his AK was so pretty he should call every bet. It appears you aren't gonna get him to fold no matter what you do. I suppose the best chance was to push on the flop, but he surely would have read that for a bluff?
Old 09-29-2005, 12:01 PM

I think its sometimes hard to seperate our "feelings" about a player from the way way we play them. There is a lot of overlap between a "read" and just a "grudge". If I am one of two large stacks at the table, I try to avoid deep HU matches with the other with mediocre holdings.

I really feel this play was driven more by "dislike" than by what you thought was smart play. By that I mean, your play was fine given your read, but your choosing of this confrontation was bad. Thats alright, I do it often as well...but it gets me in trouble.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By that I mean, your play was fine given your read, but your choosing of this confrontation was bad. Thats alright, I do it often as well...but it gets me in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I almost wish I wasn't paying close attention so that I wouldn't have noticed how bad of a player he was. My normal play here is probably limp and fold on the flop if unimproved.

Anyway, I think Im tired of the $10's. The $5's have crisper play than the $10's. But I'm overly bankrolled for even the 22s so I'll probably just start playing those now.

I hope people at the 22s know to fold to a large flop raise from a preflop aggressor with an unimproved AK. If not then I think I'll just start playing poker for fun, and not for money.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope people at the 22s know to fold to a large flop raise from a preflop aggressor with an unimproved AK.

[/ QUOTE ]
I play the $22s. I sure as hell hope this doesn't stop.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope people at the 22s know to fold to a large flop raise from a preflop aggressor with an unimproved AK. If not then I think I'll just start playing poker for fun, and not for money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure to let us all know how playing for fun goes.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:15 PM

You and villain are co-chip leaders. You guys can really do damage to eachother. If one of the co-chip leaders enters a pot, the other needs pretty good cards to play in the hand or needs to know that the other big stack is capable of folding decent holding if put all in. Keep this in mind.

So, you're holding 66 - a marginal hand at best. This is a hand you could bully the smaller stacks with, or make the co-chip leader fold IF HE'S GOOD. By your own admission, the other big stack isn't a good player and probably doesn't know when it's correct to fold. You actually need a hand to play against a bad player that won't fold when it's correct to do so.

This might've been good play at a higher buyin against a more knowledgable opponent, but I think it stinks at a $11 against a donk.

BTW, I think "overcards" are too narrow of a range to put him on.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:19 PM

If you're genuinely happy with your read, you should push while you still have six outs if you are wrong.

You don't want a Jack to come and then the Villain to bet at you, that would be too unpleasant.

Take the nice pot now.

Lori